New SKS owner with a question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Popgun, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Popgun

Popgun New Member

With all the info I gleaned from you guys here on FirearmsTALK (thanks), I decided to purchase an SKS. The one I purchased seems to be a 1977Chinese model with a side mount lower strap. The stock is in good shape for it's age but I'm thinking about refinishing it anyway. My question is whether refinishing the stock with a darker wood stain will lower it's value. How much do most people value a completely stock gun when it comes to SKS's from the late 1970's?

Any comments?

Thanks

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A Chinese SKS is a shooter, not a collectible. A good restoration will not hurt resale one bit. (Unlike sporterizing)

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

If you are still worried about it you can always pick up an extra stock on ebay cheap and stain that one. As stated above though SKS's are for shooting, and are fun as hell to shoot so shoot the **** out of it and dont worry about it. I would stay away from putting a composite stock on it of any kind. Thats just me though, from experience.

4. Popgun

Popgun New Member

That's good to know, thanks. I can do a good job refinishing, I just didn't want to do anything that would be frowned upon for this model and year gun.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Stocks are all over the place, get another one if ya really wan tot cover your rear. But I really don't see a SKS getting to high dollar as a collectable.
    Maybe as a can't get em anymore vewcxause they asre evil and now and banned...? But the stock wont be an issue then anyway. So have fun wit hit. I've refinished several. THe only downside I see is people like them and want to buy them off me;)