New Single Action.......

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bob Wright, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Fell into a new single action today. Dropped into a pawn shop and this said "Take me home:"

[​IMG]

It's a Hy Hunter Western Six Shooter, .357 Magnum, made in Western Germany. Price was $274.50+tax for $310.00.

Project gun, I'm sure........

Bob Wright

2. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Not a bad deal! If it has a decent trigger all I see is the front sight might need to be filed down.

3. ryanusmc24

ryanusmc24 New Member

The baddest of the bad. .44 magnum
    image-2311878555.jpg

Attached Files:

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Nice buy!!!!!

Thisun followed me home last week from a pawn shop. $170 out the door.

[​IMG]

5. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Good find! My pawn shops suk round here. Nothing but plastic guns ever behind the counter.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Those were the days. I used to go thru the Hy Hunter ads every month. Back then you could order handguns thru the U.S. Mail. Anyway was this the same as Hawes Western Marshall?

7. kycol

kycol New Member

That's what this one was I believe

Attached Files:

8. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I got robbed when I paid $185 for my Colt in 1970. Damn it, I'm a freakin' dinosaur.
    But all kidding aside, it warms my heart to see others who appreciate the single actions regardless of calibre, make, or where they were manufactured. I love all guns and appreciate them all. I have noticed lately that more younger shooters are finally opening their eyes and can see there's more to guns than automatics and military look-a-likes. That also goes for lever guns.
    [​IMG]

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

At least you have a pawn shop. All I got is two crappy gun stores. The only good gunstore is a little under an hour away.

10. northhike

northhike New Member

Stop this right now! My wallet is heating up and the wife is wondering why she is getting that uneasy feeling again. ;) Beautiful guns!....humm....might have to take another trip to Cabelas gun library.....shhh.

11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Not too sure if exactly the same, think trigger guard and backstrap of Western Marshal were brass? Any way only cosmetic changes, I think.

Bob Wright

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Pawnshops in this area suck. Most of their used guns actually cost more than I could purchase the same gun new. After a few hundred trips one tends to just keep riding. They also grade the guns very poorly. If it's all in one piece it's graded as in new condition.

A couple years ago a local pawnshop that has fair ammo prices had the exact 20 ga Mossberg I was looking for. The gun was priced at $215, it was in fair condition. They called it like new condition. I could get the same gun for $215 NIB. I had to go to that area a few days later so I brought my Mossberg that is in new condition. I compared it to their gun and started picking it apart. The Pawnshops response was to call me unrealistic. Yet, I had a 15 year old well cared for gun to show them. Usually when a seller calls a buyer unrealistic, it's the seller that is unrealistic.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Fast Draw craze of the 1960s created a demand for single action handguns. Many imports and the Great Western revolvers were marketed. This was also the birth of the Ruger 6 guns. Colt offered the Scout revolvers which never really caught on. The Colt New Frontier a work of art but was never chambered for the new .44 magnums.
    Cowboy shooting has brought back many of the single action classics. :)

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I looked hard at Colt new frontier 22 LR/ Mag. Combo but went w Rugers single six. Colt w have been a better investment.

Single actions tend to recoil up vs double actions seem to recoil right back at you. Just watch a few youtubes of people getting whacked in the head...:p. Enough said...?

15. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I appreciate the warning, but I've put enough rounds through single actions to know how to avoid that problem.

Bob Wright