New Sig 226

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by shipwreck, Jun 8, 2014.

1. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

I rented a Sig 226 yesterday, and then bought one afterwards. My first Sig handgun I have ever owned, despite owning tons of different makes and models over the years...

Gun is very accurate, and doubletaps very well. I also have a strong preference towards rubber grips. However, with this new smaller grip the 226 comes with - the texture is rough enough that I don't need rubber grips.

Now, I fired 250 rounds thru the gun. One strange thing initially. The slide never locked back when I shot the gun 2 handed, but ALWAYS when I shot it one handed. I talked to one of the shop employees, and he came out on the range with me (the store also has an indoor range). He tried it and it worked fine. He then watched me shoot. The slide release is so far back on a Sig that it is easy to hit with your thumb in a 2 handed grip.

Sure enough - that was it. I fired another 100 rounds thru it, and if I watched my grip, it never did it.

I prefer my standard holding grip - but in a self defense situation with only one 15 round magazine in the gun, I can shoot it like I normally do and it would be a non issue. But on the range, I just gotta pay a bit more attention to it.

Here it is:

(Has night sights on it already)

It is the 226 Legacy configuration. Supposed to have the same frame as the MK25. However, I do not know how that differs from a standard 226 frame

[​IMG]

2. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Sweet Sig. Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Great choice for a first Sig. :cool:

There will be more! :D

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If the gun fits you well, then you really can't do any better! First rate option for the average Joe, Navy SEAL, and everything in between. I sold mine because it didn't fit me great (prefer slimmer CZ 75, BHP, 1911 metal frames). My P226 was perfect...just not perfect for me.

BTW- Hogue P226 rubber grips...they're cheap (~$15) and easy to find. Panel > Wrap-around style for most hands. Worth the minimal investment in my opinion.

5. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

What around with the finger grooves on a double stack always makes the gun too big for my hand.

6. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Update - i picked up an M1A11 earlier this week :)

[​IMG]

7. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The variety makes sense. Bottom rails are redundant in a standard military pistol but useful in a LE duty weapon.

Can you explain why the triggers look different? Do they feel different?

9. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Here's my MK25 to get a comparison of frames.

[​IMG]

and the standard P226

[​IMG]

Essentially the same basic design of the SIG P220, but developed to use higher capacity, staggered-column magazines in place of the single-column magazines of the P220.

10. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Yes, the M11A1 has the short trigger. Some people like it, some do not. You can put either trigger in either gun.