new shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by randy420, Sep 14, 2013.

1. randy420

randy420 New Member

i need a new shotgun to replace my little 870 youth gun. i have been looking at used guns online and i found a winchester 1300 ranger 12 gauge for $200. i cant decide on either that one or a remington 870. help!!! i want some thing inexpensive but not a piece of junk. i have a hard time saving money.

2. 304inc

304inc New Member

Randy I can't speak for the Winchester but I can say that my 870 has never let me down. Built rugged and go bang everytime. I've had several shotguns and I still have my 870. Very versatile.

3. shadow07080

shadow07080 New Member

Love my Mossberg 590 Great gun! Not to pricey

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

If that Youth 870 is a 20ga, you can purchase a new Stock for it and install. Only cost ya around $70 to get a Stock Kit from Bass Pro that includes Shoulder and Forearm Stock in Camo. Don't know what the Wood Stocks cost. The 12ga Shoulder Stock will fit a 20ga Receiver with just a simple/easy carving down of a pocket knife or Dremel Tool if you have one at the attachment point. Some of the "Older" 20gauges, I've heard were built using same attachment dimensions as a 12ga, so depending on the age you might not even have to do any modifications.
    Del

5. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Check out Mosberg, they have a verity of shotguns at a decent price point.

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

all
    day
    long
    (never a jam or failure to feed, ever, thousands of rounds)

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If the Winchester 1300 is anything like the Winchester 1200 that I bought in 1974 @ age 15, you will enjoy having that gun for years to come. My 1200 has been dragged thru the marshes duck & goose hunting, taken several deer, enjoyed many mornings hunting pheasant, quail & rabbits, busted lots of clay & now resides @ my home as my HD gun.

Winchester's pump guns are rugged and reliable.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If your 870 has served you well, this is a very good option. You can also make spacers to lengthen your current stock using wood, plastic jug slices, pieces of tire side wall, and longer screws. Almost any material will work, just find one that looks good to you.

The advantage of making spacers is this. If you hunt in a cold climate, you can remove some of them to make your gun fit better while in your cold weather gear, and put them back in place for warm weather shooting. Cheap solution that my grandfather used many times to fit an older rifle to his taller frame. Place the spacers between the end of the stock and the recoi; pad, and you should be good to go.

OTOH, If you are looking to get a new gun, i would go with the 870. I have had mine for 10 years, and it has worked first time, every time for me. The other advantage to the 870 is that you are already used to the operating system due to owning you youth model. IOW, no need to learn a new gun.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide.

9. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Go for the 12 gauge. I am using it for a long time. It can shoot the smallest animals easily. It has more pellets and usually high velocities with cheaper shells.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you want a new shotgun get a Mossberg 500. You have to buy an 870 wingmaster to get a gun with the same fit and finish. Personally I would just get a hogue overmolded stock for your current gun. It will serve your purpose until you start shooting faster than the 870 can function. 20 ga shells are the same price as 12 ga shells. I am getting 20 ga super X high brass game loads for my 20 ga for $7 a box right now.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Did I miss something? I don't recall the OP ever specifying why he needs a new shotgun, yet everyone is assuming his current one doesn't fit.

OP - is that the case? Or is yours broken in some way? Maybe you just WANT a new one?

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not stepping on your toes here, but the description of "My little 870 youth model" does imply the need for something that fits better, or wanting a bigger gauge. I can't speak for others, but that is what I myself read in the the OP.

I do have to ask though, was the 870 bashing necessary? JD, where is the proof that the 500 is superior to the 870? I have both, and they get the same amount of use with no problems from either one in the 10 plus years I have owned them. Both are used by LEOs and the military, (590 by our boys in green), and have been proven to be reliable in some pretty intense conditions.

Not trying to be a d!ck, just wondering.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Gah I did miss the word "little"

That's why I asked.

14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I noticed something interesting. I have a an Rem 870, M-berg, 500 and 590 along with a a Win. 1300. All are at least 10 years old. The M-bergs and Win. are probably close to 20.

I was at my LGS picking up a pistol Friday. While I waited on paperwork I looked at a new 500 and a 1300. I was amazed at how cheaply made they seems to be compared to my older versions. Seems like a lot more stamped "pot metal". I would not purchase a newer one of either of these weapons. I'm not advocating the 870 either, I've heard that they are not what they used to be either.

If you haves chance compare a newer one to an older version and see what ya think.

15. shadow07080

shadow07080 New Member

Agreed!! The older ones feel/shoot a lot more stiff and Solid..

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

really can't blame the gun makers because a ton of folks want the cheapest thing humanly possible. Actually, the new Expresses I have seen lately looked a little better than their predecessors.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

To start off with the 870 looks like an investment casting that someone forgot to knock the slag off it. Second I can't shoot an 870 without it malfunctioning. I have literally shot dozens of 870's that malfunctioned every single time I attempted to shoot a double with one. I never have that issue with a Mossberg 500. If you shoot a shotgun slowly bang, bang an 870 is a fine gun for you. If you frequently are accused of busting both clays with a single shot but you fired the gun twice you need a Mossberg 500 to keep up with you. The 870 will short stroke every time if you shoot it that quickly. I find that type performance frustrating. I won't tolerate it, nor will I advise anyone to accept it.

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Strange, I have not had a bit of trouble with many 870s Expresses, or Mossbergs, or BPSs, save for a few that didn't like Winchester Universal shells without a little chamber honing.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Virginian, you have always been straight up and I have no reason to doubt you. I don't have a problem as much with a broke in 870 since my health is going downhill. The 870 does two things to me it has a long space between ejection and presenting a shell for battery. Second you actually have to pull back on the slide with light loads. None of the guns I own require the shooter to pull back on the slide, including a 1970 something graded 870. The older field grade 870 is very nice and it is comparable to a pigeon grade browning pump.