New Shotgun, request Opinions/Wisdom

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Smythe222, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Smythe222

Smythe222 New Member

Hello again fellow FAT forum goers!

You all have been awesome in helping me pick out my 2 previous guns, so I come with yet another query.

I am looking for a good shotgun that I can use for HD/Hunting/Shooting sports, kind of a jack of all trades. I am looking for something that is built to last and very reliable.

I went down to the local Gander today and am looking at either the Mossy 500, Remington 870 or the Benelli Nova. I really like the Benelli a ton, but I haven't done nearly as much research as the other 2. Price really doesn't matter because I have a gift card that is covering almost all of the purchase and they have the Benelli on sale, so it's only about 40 bucks more than the 870.

Also I'm wondering whether to get the 12 or 20 gauge. I have no problems with the recoil on the 12, but the 20 is sooooo much lighter. I can see that as being pretty advantageous when I'm lugging the sucker around. I think I've provided a fairly good amount of info, but if you experts have any more questions feel free to ask. Again thank you all for your help, and I'm sure I'll be bugging you for more when I build my AR ;) !!

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You have to choose for yourself. I chose a 20 ga 870 and have never regretted it.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If it is in your budget, get the Benelli. If not, get the 870.

I have switched to hunting pheasant with a 20 guage, lot easier to tote all afternoon.

I Turkey hunt with 12 guage.

A 20 guage with #3 buck in a tactical length barrel would make an excellent HD tool.

4. kycol

kycol New Member

To me nothing beats the old hump back browning, but I'd take the 870 over the bennilly

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

I have owned a nova which I traded in for the STOEGER m3500 I have now I also own a 20ga 870 for my wife.....the 870 can't even compare with the nova IMHO the nova is the vest pump gun on the market the only find that compare with it are the Browning bps and the STOEGER p350 which is based off the nova.....I would definatly go with the nova

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

hd vs hunt 2 different guns hunting and clays can cross over but its a recrational or a hd . zombies dont throw clays or birds at you!

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

An extra barrel solves this. I had an old 30 inch 870 barrel cutdown to 18.5 inches. Also have a 26 inch barrel with Remchokes.

8. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

It's more than just a barrel at times. To be all around gun. Hd, hunting ect. You really have to figure out your exact needs. Turky and deer gun can practically go hand and hand. But then if you use optics cut birds out of the question. I can see the bead under my frame, bit I went from hiting 9 out of 10 clays to 5 out of ten clays. If you go with cantilever barrels. The trick is finding that smooth bore barrel. I could remove the frame but I risk damaging the pins every time I do that. Also. Mag tube extensions, I would have to custom make a long enough plug for hunting. Again you can remove it but if you forget to put it back in and caught without one there will be a world of hurt layed on you. If you ever want a side saddle and an optic on the gun it's not going to work out so well. So there are a lot to think about and determining what is needed for your various setups and if it's worth constantly changing your gun. For me I determined it's better to have 2 shotguns. My next shotgun will be a semi auto bird/hd gun

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Well, imo i love my mossberg 500 combo, easy to change out between the two barrels it comes with, and it is pretty rugged, nest advise is to see if there is a local range with some rental guns and try em out.

10. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

You will ruin into the same issues regardless of the two guns. They both will be easy to switch the barrels it's everything else. My 870 right now will be great for hunting turkey and deer. But not home defense or any migratory birds. So like I said you really have to figure out if the constant change up of your gun is worth it.

11. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I'd go with either the Benelli or the Mossberg.

12. Smythe222

Smythe222 New Member

Well Im definitely gonna get the benelli. And from the sounds of it im going to end up getting a 12 and 20 gauge at some point anyways Haha. I appreciate all of the info guys! Im sure i'll be posting some pics soon!

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

You will be happy with you decision buddy....I think in going to buy my wife a 20 gauge nova also lol.....are u buying the super nova or the regular nova

14. Smythe222

Smythe222 New Member

What are you trying to say that I'm a woman if I go 20 gauge?!?! Hahaha. Im thinking regular nova because I got a gift card that almost covers the whole gun.

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

LOL no I was just saying that's what I'm buying her bc its lighter and she can't handle a 12 lol....I had the regular nova I loved it

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Sorry, I know this is unfair, but...

...here's your new gun.

Attached Files:

17. akers06

akers06 New Member

That's a nice gun but it ain't no benelli lol

18. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Remington 870...Hands down.

Doesn't have to look all tacticool. Can just be a wooden stock (~$500) or there are plenty of aftrmarket parts. Pistol grip stocks (fixed/adjustable/no stock), magazine extensions, side saddles for extra shells etc. etc.
    [​IMG]

19. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I have been liking at a field security combo as my next shot gun. But I'm pretty sure I want a semi auto.

20. akers06

akers06 New Member

Have you handled a newer 870