New shotgun purchase

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Ara, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Ara

Ara New Member

Hello all-

I am looking to purchase my 1st shotgun.

I'm looking for something mostly for self defense and occasional target shootings at the Range.

I've narrowed my search to a Remington 870 tactical express and a benelli supernova

I am not an expert in shotguns at all and would really appreciate any input / advise.

I've shot a benelli supernova once and was very impressed by the handling /recoil. I've never shot a 870, hence I really don't know how it feels.

In my area, the price difference between 2 shotguns are $100. I don't mind the difference so long as I know I'm getting a better product.

Any thought / ideas is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ara

2. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Go for the benelli. Higher quality product. Remington has been having quality issues lately

3. Ara

Ara New Member

Thanks. That's the 2nd comment I heard about Remington today.

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea go with the benelli for sure they are twice then gun new 870s are but instead of the supernova check out the regular nova not much different and cheaper

5. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I would get the Benelli. The 870 is not the gun it used to be.

6. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have a 870 and if given the choice I would get a Nova or Super Nova

7. badasstruck

badasstruck New Member

Benelli! I love mine!

8. 1911love

1911love New Member

Check out the Mossberg 590A1. Advantages: 8 round mag tube, metal trigger guard and components, bayonet lug, dual action bars, ghost ring sights, parkerized finish, tang safety(ambi and much easier to use), slide release behind trigger guard(as opposed to in front of the guard, you don't have to adjust your grip to release the slide). Also, it passed the Army's extensive tests to be able to be entered into service. I got mine a few years ago for around $500. Great for SD and it makes trap shooting much more challenging!

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Just to show you opinions can vary, if someone gave me a Benelli I would pass it on rather than keep it. I cannot abide Benellis of practically any ilk. But, that is just me. In point of fact, a Benelli, Remington, Mossberg, Maverick, or "other" will probably do fine for you. We are talking pump guns here; not Purdeys.

10. Slugo

Slugo New Member

Mossberg 500 12g/28". Buy Made in USA!!

11. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Inter change able barrels.

12. badasstruck

badasstruck New Member

So does the benelli....

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The benelli is a fine weapon. it's problems are access to accessories. You can't go to the LGS and buy a choke tube for it. you can get parts but it will take a while. If you want to upgrade or change the furniture you can't browse ebay and find a deal in a couple weeks. Barrels are expensive and a PITA to acquire.

One thing I have started doing before I purchase a gun is look for parts and accessories before I buy it. If I can find common parts and accessories there is a good chance I might want for the gun I will buy it.

14. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Did not know that.

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

This is true I loved my nova but you can't find much for them...which all I ever bought for it was a after market recoil pad and a saddle mount for a scope

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Rule out the Remington, but...

...consider this with the Benelli:

Attached Files: