New shooting competition

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by keril, Jul 28, 2020.

1. keril

keril New Member

is there any new shooting competition happening ?

2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

We shoot unlimited crap daily. Seriously, better ask around, most competitions are local.

locutus likes this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Quite a few cancelled. Even the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association scratched some of their matches for the summer.

4. B9er

B9er Member

everybody's a ***** over this virus. it's not as bad as the flu and everyones crapping their pants about. 40 million people are never again going to have a job over this. It's ruined our nation.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

You realize that there's something far more going on with the COVID than the average, gullible fish for a citizen believes. Just wait till our new scientist listening to President gets in there.

As far as shooting competition are you anywhere near Tennessee or Kentucky? 3rd Saturday of every month, Paris TN.
    Mostly vintage sniper or vintage military. The guy that runs it is a surgeon so if you come down with anything you'll be in good hands.

Sniper03, Ghost1958 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost 11,000 folks were diagnosed with the disease yesterday, over a quarter million have died, and probably 400,000 will die before the new year. No amount of burying your head in the political sands changes that fact.

Denying that something exists does not change the truth.

locutus likes this.
  7. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

I was told by someone at my club pistol and trap to resume in the spring maybe.

8. Chainfire

Everybody wants to get back to normal. I will be glad when I never have to see another mask. Thing will get back to normal when there is either a way to prevent or a way to cure the disease, until that time things will be tentative.

I wish you luck getting back to your club for some competition soon, but to know what the situation will be like in the Spring would take crystal balls.

9. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

The ranges are open so I can shoot anytime I want. I don’t compete but I like to watch. I have seen some crazy good pistol shooters there that I would embarrassed to shoot against.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen just about every competition go to outrageous gear. Need some matches that are limited to affordable gear. I would like to see a 25 or 50 yard off hand competition using box stock rimfire rifles. Iron sights, red dots or 4X max scope. Different classes? All use the same supplied ammo like Minimags. Needs to be a fun shoot with good sized targets. Maximum weight limit to eliminate fancy target rifles. Possibly a maximum cost.

locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The Precision Rifle Series, has a production class, limited to $3500 rifle and glass, so that a “normal” shooter doesn’t have to compete with the folks who are spending that much on just the chassis. The Ruger Precision Rifles, are designed to let a shooter be competitive in the production class.

Always amazed me that folks bought them and then blindly proceeded to immediately start taking of the production stock, forearm and trigger. Which immediately elevated them to open class competition.

Shouldn’t complain though. they were selling the factory parts on eBay, and I picked up several spare barrels, and a couple of the stocks for my ARs.

Sniper03 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. JTJ

I was thinking more of a $500 msrp limit including optics. A Ruger 10-22 with a 4x32 scope would easily fall into that. So would many other lower end rifles.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. DHall_37

DHall_37 Active Member

I’d really like to see a military surplus shooting competition near me. I don’t think there should be a maximum on how much you can spend on the rifle. Obviously, no adding optics or glass bedding the stock. So guys with their $3500 semi auto 1919 Browning or the guy with his $200 Turk Mauser can all have fun.

14. sheriffjohn

There've beem darn few shoots this year. Trap shoot was moved from Illinois to Lionn Creek, Missouri. Couple of sporting clays have been held, also in Missouri. Not too difficult to distance outdoors. However, at least at the clays teams were separated by organizers.

Little late in the season for much to happen most places. Two indoor pistol ranges I know of are still operating - Jefferson City and LaGrange Mo.

15. JTJ

Our range has been open all year. Gets very hot in summer which is our off season. I have been at the range every Tuesday. Usually the pistol bays mostly by myself or with my wife. 50/100 yard range is 12 benches and only use it for sight in or testing. I have watched the weekend matches and every one of them has migrated to expensive gear. This is why I want to see some matches with strict limits. It is no fun trying to compete with my stock RAR and 3-9x40 Nikon against a guy with $5k rifle and optic shooting $20 a box ammo. Even the sporting steel has gone to tricked out guns and optics.

DHall_37 likes this.
  16. Chainfire

That I would enjoy. Bring a Finn M-39 and bang away with surplus ammo. Fireballs and stinking smoke, it smells like victory. In my part of the country, there are very few people who give surplus firearms any respect.

DHall_37 likes this.
  17. sheriffjohn

It's easy to feel outgunned when folks start unpacking outfits far beyond your pocketbook. Several shooters I've known try to buy their way to success by constantly changing guns, scopes, gimcracks, calibers, accessories. That approach seldom works as well as limiting the level of competition to what's in hand to a single game and mastering that level.

Serious practice, study, and attention to every detail makes a shooter competitive. That said, some games require a minimum level of equipment, some quite specialized. Matches run the gamet from a few gunclub buds shooting in a weekly/monthly fun shoot to serious stuff where sponsored shooters with perhaps factory prototypes appear.

Practical Pistol, (especially L.E. matches) back in the day were for basically stock/department issued guns and holsters. There were revolver-only matches or courses of fire that limited the advantage of semi-autos. It was fun. If it isn't fun, try golf.

18. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The PRS has a 22LR class and competition. It is limited to $1500, rifle and optics. Which would let you get a good bolt action, and good glass. Range to targets is 10 to 300-yds.

Rifle has to run a factory barrel, and the action can’t be modified. You can install a different stock.

JTJ and sheriffjohn like this.
  19. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Grossly over-exaggerating the death rate from the virus doesn't change the truth, either. To date, about 1,440,000 have died globally, 263,000 of those deaths were in the US. Losing another 400,000 people in the span of 1 month would require a spectacular increase in the mortality rate from COVID-19, which we have not seen thus far.

JTJ likes this.
  20. Chainfire

Not necessarily a rise in morbidity, but a rise in number of infected. Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to blow up the numbers. But, fine, I won't quibble with projections, lets just go with the number dead to date. Do you not find losing a quarter million of your fellow Americans an unmitigated disaster?