New Semi Shotgun Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by SoL, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SoL

SoL New Member

hey there

I have been interested in a decent semiauto shotgun, having maxed out my 870s and more or less not being at all happy with the inertia driven franchi semiauto shotgun I've been using, the barrel flip that the reciprocating barrel causes makes followup shots just straight up slower than with a pump.

I want a decent semi that will take enough of the recoil to make followup shots a bit more appealing, gas powered maybe? what does anyone recommend from experience? and should I pay respect to the Saiga 12? it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

If you have the $, there is nothing finer than the Benelli M4. Second place is the FN tactical. Both are gas operated. They are both awesome tactical shotguns.
    I know nothing about Saiga nor know anyone who owns one.

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have 0% respect for a Saiga. It is way over priced for a shoddily built Russian piece of crap. I would look at a Browning or a Beneli. Both are trouble free and competition winners. Do a little research before buying a shotgun. Get a shotgun that is tailor made for your intended use.

The FN SLP is a great tactical shotgun. If I bought a dedicated home defense shotgun the SLP would be my choice for a semi-auto. In fit, finish, reliability and resale value the SLP kicks the Saiga right in the caboose.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. msup752

msup752 New Member

Yeah. The FN is a great shotgun. It is almost half the cost of the Benelli and made in the USA so it comes with a full length tube from the factory.
    Yet I had the $ at the time and got an M4. It is outstanding!

5. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I would look at the FN SLP as well. I've heard nothing but good things about it

6. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

The new a-5 is about as good as it gets for inertia guns. Maybe if you want a gas look at the Benelli website. They have more nice gas guns than I can count.

7. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

The Benelli is top of the list for sure, but expensive. Second in my opinion would be a converted Saiga 12. Reliable and a lot of fun. Believe me they're not Russian crap. Some people just don't understand what an awesome weapon system the AK platform is. Oh well, there loss.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

A Benelli inertia system gun.
    PS: Saiga = Ruskie = cheap (I don't mean inexpensive) = poop.

9. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have shot the Benelli inertia shotguns (M1 and M2) and they are very nice. It seemed to be harder recoil and I hear the inertia system is a bit more picky about cycling some types of ammo. The inertia system is faster cycling than gas.

As for the Saigas, Red Jacket loves them so they have to be great, right? :rolls eyes:

10. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

What is your budget? What do you intend to use this shotgun for?

11. SoL

SoL New Member

yeah my mate's dad has the FN Police semi, it really does good, though I know in NZ they cost a pretty penny.
    That being said I prefer to get my gun stuff from USA anyway :)

Thanks for all the feedback, now I can head into the local to try some on.
    The main/only thing that is especially appealing about the Saiga12 is the box magazine feed, instead of single feeding.

12. SoL

SoL New Member

yeah my franchi al48 is an A5 pattern, but it just won't cycle anything less than a 36 gram load, which is generally fine,
    but when it fails to cycle you can't just rack the handle to put another in, you actually have to hand load a shell into the chamber and whack the bolt release. Makes a nice single barrel shotgun when it decides to be, ergo not semi awesome.

13. SoL

SoL New Member

as for what we use it for, largescale rabbit elimination.
    Imagine one target running out, you shoot, hit, then 4 more run out thanks to the report of that. boom boom boom, run run, etc.
    then you take one step forward and it happens all over again, hence why a box mag would be good for instant refill.
    So having quick followup shots is great, our 870s are amazing and we can work them fast enough to be good, but having a quality semi that famously REDUCES the recoil flip as opposed to AUGMENTING it and can stay on target for quick successive shots, that would be the pants.
    I'm going to go co-own on it with my rabbiting partner, so if I sell my franchi for about NZ$400 (US$320) plus that again in cash, plus the same again from the other party, all in all about US$1200 seems like a reasonable range.

14. SoL

SoL New Member

in regards to the Red Jacket thing,
    my feelings are summarised by this revelation during one of the first episodes I saw.

Gun Boss Man "We are making a quad Mg42!"
    Gun making man "YOU WANT ME TO MAKE A GUN THAT SHOT AT MY GRANDAD!?"
    Good one dude, I'm not an American but I'm pretty sure those AKs you are constantly building should ring some patriotic alarm bells in regards to notoriety.

It's a shame that a show set in a gun shop can induce such a degree of cringe and pathos, you almost feel guilty
    for trying to watch.
    Thanks Discovery, with your physically impossible yet suspiciously unaddressed episode format :)

There's another one too that started recently called (I think) American Guns. Better? Worse? Tactical nuclear strike?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  15. spack762

spack762 New Member

As far as smi-auto shotguns go, anyone hear/use a MKA-1919? Good, bad, junk??

16. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

So what you guys are saying is that Russian AKs are cheap garbage? Saigas included? I better go back and review my history and see which weapon system is number 1. Maybe not the most accurate rifle, but come on people. Lol

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yup, garbage. LOL.

Attached Files:

18. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ya makes a guy wonder about his a-500 gold trigger lol

19. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

getting a little away from the op. imho rem1100 or beretta 390/391

20. SoL

SoL New Member

that saiga is just lush :) I'm an AFG man myself too.