New Semi-Auto

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Looking at getting a new semi auto shotgun to replace my Remington 1100. It has too much memorable value to me and is gonna go up on my wall. I was looking at the Winchester SX3 and the benelli SBII. Which would you prefer?

2. Slugo

Slugo New Member

I prefer a good gas gun to any hard shooting Benelli. The SX3 is a GREAT choice... :)

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I researched the heck out of this last summer...it came down to Winchester SX3, Browning Silver (essentially the same as the SX3) Browning Gold and Browning Maxus. I'd be happy with anyone I mentioned. The Maxus is the latest and greatest from I found.

4. dclagg

dclagg New Member

Winchester SX3 is a very good shotgun. If I were you, that's the way I would go

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Is there a difference between the X3 and the SX3? Where I'm looking, the X3 is 50 bucks cheaper and all I can see as the difference is the stock

6. atari101

atari101 New Member

I'm a big fan of the Saiga 12. Just my $0.02

7. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I've looked at them but for waterfowl hunting, it's just not for me. Home defense is another story though

8. Slugo

Slugo New Member

very pretty and very functional 20 gauge semi SX3... :)

[​IMG]

9. dclagg

dclagg New Member

Wow. Beautiful gun

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I retired my '63 1100 from waterfowling a few years ago. Sold the Magnum action sleeve, and got a '66 1100 Magnum. :) Put the Steel Shot barrel on the '66. Now the '63 is just for clay games when I decide to use a 12.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah mine is a '62 I believe and was handed down from my grandpa to me in an unwanted way. That's how I got all his guns. But the semi auto just spoiled me from the beginning and I don't mind dropping the extra dime to get one over a pump (which I love my pump too)

12. Slugo

Slugo New Member

actually, they're pretty cool, for what they are... :cool:

13. Slugo

Slugo New Member

yes sir, it is pretty, but it ain't mine... :eek:

14. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I don't know your intended use.

From personal experience, if you buy a Benelli for your intended use, you will not regret it. Reliability is king.

I know guys who have been duck hunting, dropped them in the river, fished them out with their boat anchor, and finished hunting, WITHOUT a failure.

They do shoot differently than gas guns. I don't believe they shoot harder. I would say a gas operated gun shoots smoother.

I'm not a hunter. I'm a clays shooter. I originally bought high end gas guns. I found them to be far too finicky. Traded one of my gas guns for a Benelli Sport II. Nothing but pleasant shooting ever since.

The Benelli I traded for was clearly used little. I have shot over 30,000 rounds with this gun with no failures, other than primer failures.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE my Sport IIs. ( I added a second one)

15. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'll use it for both clay sport shooting and hunting. Mainly dove, duck, quail, etc

16. SOUPCAN

SOUPCAN New Member

Unless those birds really piss you off....LOL.

17. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Remington has the new versa max, shoots any load from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 magnum loads. I hear berthing but good things about it. It's a little pricy though. 1000+ new.

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

+1, definitely enjoy my Benellis, a 12 ga SBE II and a Montefeltro 20 ga.

I hunted pheasant last fall with a couple of guys that were using Browning Silver Hunters, they were happy with their choice in shotguns.

19. treadwm

treadwm New Member

I agree on both counts. I own a Benelli M2 that I've only used for clays so far. It's handled everything I've thrown at it without a problem. Field loads, target loads and even lightweight handloads have been digested without complaint. Easier to clean too (I think) since there's no gas system. The crud is all in the barrel.
    The recoil impulse is different. I've shot my M2 and a friends Beretta AL391 one after the other. The gas gun feels like it is slower cycling and thus spreads the recoil out over a bit more time. The M2 does feel like a quicker rap to the the shoulder. Not harder, just quicker. At the end of the day, my shoulder feels the same whether its the 391 or the M2. YMMV.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Benelli Armi

Hate finicky gas systems. Benelli. I'm still on a H&K M1!