New scramjet being tested tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by downsouth, Aug 13, 2012.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Waste, waste, and more waste. Talk about 'welfare queens.' :mad:

3. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I guess Chuck Yeager was busy.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Chuck would land it. No questions asked.

Funny. I'm a Marine. My hero is an Air force test pilot

5. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

True. But I feel Chuck Yeager was pretty much the epitome of flying perfection. Damn near the first man in space, riding (the x1?) So high that there was no atmosphere to interact with his controls. Broke the sound barrier. Pushed every single plane he piloted WAY BEYOND it's perceived and engineered capabilities.

Then there's the time he enrolled in a civilian aviation program just so he could scare the living hell out of the flight instructor and ask her out. Hell of a way to break the ice...

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I wonder if I can put one of those engines on a Cessna?

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've seen a jet engine mounted in a beetle. And two little mini jets mounted on a scooter. Anything is possible...

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Something tells me the GEEEEEEEFOOOORRRCCCESSS might be a problem to overcome with passenger transport, though freight transport might be possible...maybe super duper FedEx?

10. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Is there going to be a live pilot in that?!? Or is it unmanned? I didn't see anything about it in the article. It's a little bit of a stretch to even call that a jet or plane,that thing is more like a missile than anything the way I see it

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

You think they can modify it to deliver pizzas? Gotta be better than waiting an hour for delivery.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

You know it would just sling all the toppings to one end of the box. I hate it when they do that.

13. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I sure hope not!

The WaveRider is expected to accelerate to about Mach 6 as it climbs to nearly 70,000 feet.

After 300 seconds of flight, the WaveRider is set to break up after splashing into the Pacific, as planned.

There are no plans to recover the WaveRider.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Pilot could be a strong swimmer.

15. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Poor guy. First a ride from hell at mach 6+ with absolutely no controls then crashed into the sea only to be told you can swim to shore.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

thank you Gov't :rolleyes: :mad:

Attached Files:

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's just a testbed for testing the viability of the propulsion system and structure. Don't expect anything to be built that looks like it.

18. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

It just looks like a missile to me....

19. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

It is not wasted money. It is testing, without testing we wouldn't have the planes we have today. You have to test things before you build it for real.

The problem with scramjets is that you have to get them going fast before you turn them on. the force or the air going into the engine is what compresses the air fuel mixture to ignite it.

It is really just a tube with an island in the middle of it. That causes the air to compress and heat up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramjet

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

The technology is over 30yrs old and so far not 1 viable self sustained flight has been accomplished. Add to the fact that the system cannot on its own achieve flight and needs a piggy back start and the fact that it cannot operate at extreme altitude, thus making it useless for NASA so what applications can it be possibly used for? Passenger flight? No! Cargo transport? No? Military? Possibly, but again, it cannot operate independently as it's own platform.

Great science ..... still a waste of money :cool: