New Scale

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by aandabooks, Mar 12, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

After already wearing out one of the lower end Hornady digital scales and not being super happy with the Lee scale that came as part of the kit, I broke down and bought a RCBS 10-10 scale yesterday. In talking to my LGS/reloading guru it is the scale that he uses and trusts. His os old enough to be an Ouhouse (sp?).

It was a considerable intvestment into my reloading bench but it should be the last scale that I ever buy. Scale is super accurate and easy to adjust. I'll keep the Lee as a backup. The Lee is a good simple scale but nowhere near the quality of this RCBS.

2. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

Thr RCBS 10-10 scale is excellent. They don't come any better, IMHO.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

They don't get any better than RCBS/ Ohaus.

Just make sure you have scale check weights to calibrate the zero.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

It doesn't use check weights to get to zero. Dial the scale into zero and adjust he leveling screw until everything lines up. I might get a set so I can check the accuracy of the scale at different weights.

5. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Just make sure you have scale check weights to calibrate the zero.

Just save back a Sierra 50gr. bullet--They are right on the weight..Bill.;)

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess I'm paranoid about scales!:D Even the very best ones.

I use the check weights to zero the scale as close to the powder charge weight as I can get. Prolly not necessary, but it gives me the warm fuzzies!:p

7. Brue182

Brue182 New Member

Anyone used Dillion's electronic scale? I broke down and ordered one because my OCD tendencies make me want consistency (exact same finishes on all plumbing and light fixtures in my home). It has to be decent because it does have Dillion's name on it just looking for input.

8. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I have one and its spot on. Love it and its a typical dillon piece of equipment so its awesome

9. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

Only if the army would pay soldiers more I would definitely buy a RCBS 10-10 scale they seem to be a incredible piece of machinery.

10. Jacob22

Jacob22 New Member

I am using a digital one that i bought last month I think it is enough for me to measure anything. Because it have a lot of features with affordable price. And you can get accurate result with digital scale as compare to other scales.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  11. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I use a RCBS 505 that is 35 or so years old. Each time it gets used, it's accuracy is confirmed by the use of a set of checkweights. Even though the scale may read zero on its own, the checkweights are additional verification.

Remarkably, the scale, even given its age and use, is spot on as confirmed by the checkweights.

Bayou

12. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Ive been thinkig of getting the 10-10 or the charge master myself. Im using the 505 now and it works fine. Just want to have somthing alittle more accutate. Any of you guys use the charge master at all? Im talking about the combo by the way.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

13. Morkal

Morkal New Member

Now many companies offering a range of digital scale with accuracy up to three division. Which help you in getting accurate result for your measurement. You must try on Ebay or amazon because there are many scale with different features and accuracy level.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I really like my Dillon Precision Scale.

Much more precise and easier to use than

the lower cost scales.

15. Andreson

Andreson New Member

I am agree with above members digital scales are more efficient as compare to others and provide more accurate results.Some companies provide digital scales on cheap rates also.However it's depend on your requirement i think a good digital scale is available in between 30$ to 50$.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I think I will just stay with my Lyman 1500 XP, its been good to me so far............

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I use the RCBS 10-10 as well. The balance beam scales are not affected by thermal changes as are the digital scales. Which ever scale you use, invest in and use a set of Weight-checks. Any scale can and will change zero from time to time. :)

18. christanz

christanz New Member

Did you have a look some online stores. I fond some and they were offering a huge range of products and accessories at affordable rates. I bout mine at 110$ and they dispatched my order only in 24 hours.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  19. I had a Dillon digital scale and it really worked well for me. Until I dropped it. On a concrete floor. Not recommended.

Rather than wait for another being shipped, I bought a Cabela's name (not sure who makes it). The Cabela's works okay, not as good as the Dillon.

I do have an old Ohaus (505) scale, which is quite accurate, but a pain to use. I also have a Lee 100 grain scale. Also quite accurate, but requires - like the Ohaus - a rather solid, non vibrating surface.

The digital scales are much quicker, especially for weighing cases and bullets en masse.

Allow me a bit of heresy. The absolute accuracy of a given charge of gun powder is probably one of the least meaningful considerations of obtaining accuracy. To explain: Perfectly uniform powder charges, dumped into un weighed and therefore non-segregated cases, then topped with un-weighed and therefore none-segregated bullets, and shot in 'just any rifle' will show variation between shots.

Also, many bench rest shooters load by volume, not weight. They use expensive powder measures only. (Not so for me, just for the record.)

The reality is most scale available will give sufficient uniformity - which is normally a good quality to seek - for rather accurate reloading. So don't spend all the reloading budget for the year on a fancy scale.

Oh, that Cabela's scale I bought that I think isn't as good as the Dillon? I use it and still get pretty decent groups from my reloads.