New savage model 42 combo gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Chase127, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

The savage model 42 is a 2 barrel combination gun one .22 long rifle and .410 shotgun.
    Who here is familiar with this gun and who like me agrees it could be better.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

Savage has been making combo guns for about 70 years now but this most recent offering has afew features that could and should be improved it is hammer fired witha hammer based barrel selector why not make it striker fired like an over under shotgun? And give it an AR styled selector for barrel selection 50 years ago they made a combo gun that had a spring action extractor the new model 42 has a manuel shell extractor....WTF? It has this awkward lever forward of the trigger guard for opening the breach.Why not make this a button similar to the mag release on an AR its not like they don't have the technology they were just cheap and half assed about it.the model 42 is not setup for scope mounting even though the model 24 was 50 YEARS AGO Why?it has a very nice modern synthetic stock with stylized finger grooves why not integrate an ammo carrier (say 4 rounds of each) in the buttstock and add a picitiny rail on top for a scope beefy enough to handle the shock of the .410 blast (any high-power rifle scope would do) the 42 has alot of potential but i don't think i will be selling it in my shop

3. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

Good for you sir. Chase127 I had a V 24 when they made it in a 30-30 over a 12 gage. That is one of the most handy rifles that I have ever had.

I wish at this point in my life that I had never sold it. It didn't do any thing great but it did every thing good enough to get game in the pot. It is a true hunting tool. I have taken birds, rabbit and deer with it. At a 100 yards it would hold about 1.5" with the 30-30.

As far as the new one goes, I will never buy one. I can't see any use for it. It looks cheap and flimsy and the caliber and gage are of little use to me.

I would much rather see a 223 over a twenty gage or the 30-30 with the old style action. I have been on the lookout for a used 30-30 over a twenty or twelve gage.

When I had the money I couldn't find one and when I ran across one I didn't have the money. I will get one yet.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I have to agree, I think Savage dropped the ball on the new Model 42. The cartridge selection is too limited and not at all what I would have chosen. Mechanically there are some unfortunate choices made in the design and its just a butt ugly gun.

I'd rather have a old, used Model 24 than a brand new 42.

Actually, I think if they had just re-released the old 24C (.22LR/20ga takedown) with a traditional looking synthetic stock, they would have had a winner. It would I think have appealed to a wide range of shooters (survival, foraging, small game hunting, etc).

5. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Well, seeing how this gun has been out for a couple of years now, you would think savage would offer it in a few different caliber selections.

As it stands now, I see the current model 42 as nothing more than a youth gun.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have only given these new ones a cursory once-over. They are cheap crap IMO. I own 2 Model 24s, 1 in 22 mag./3" 20 ga., and 1 in .223/ 3" 12 ga.. These are great small game/turkey/survival guns.

I don't know why they stopped production, many years ago, but the new offering does not seem up to snuff.

7. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Nice pair Eat...

I too have one of those.

The 42 missed the mark as an affordable adult survival/truck gun. I don't know if the OP realizes the price-point for a gun with his interesting options.

Synthetic stocks -- welcome to the 20th Century!

Supposedly it is available in .22 Mag. That really is great. But not the .410. Needed to be .20 ga. or maybe 12 ga.

Any combination of .22 LR, .22 Mag, or .223 over 20 ga. or 12 ga. would have been ideal. Simply replacing the .410 w/the 3" 20 ga. would probably have made this a popular gun too except for one other thing...

Why make it more than 18-1/2"? Shoulda knocked another inch or two off the end! How about matt stainless from the start, and only!?

Yeah, the 42 missed riding what I think has been a TIDAL wave and so will be swept away into the cesspool of history. What dopey people were they talking to and what, other than possibly a youth gun, was their market? "The .22 LR is the perfect survival caliber" and "all I need is a .410 to survive" parrots? Foolish mistakes across the board IMO.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  8. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Its a perfect squirrel gun in my opinion. Wished I had something like that when I was hunting squirrels in Louisiana. Got your option .22 for the longer shot and the 410 for while they are on the run. Course I'll take a 410 over a 12 guage any day for squirrel hunting.

9. natman

natman Member

Too expensive.
    Too expensive.

Which model had a "spring action extractor", i.e. ejectors?

It is possible to scope a 42. You replace the rear sight with a special scope base.

It's easy to say "shoulda done this" and "shoulda done that", but the economic realities of meeting an affordable price point for a double gun are challenging to say the least. You could make a very nice striker fired O/U combo, but it would be priced in the 4 figure range, just like an O/U shotgun.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I think "four figures" would depend on if, and to what extent, the barrels are "regulated." It's pretty obvious Savage isn't even pretending that's the case here. Makes sense that the sights are on the rifle barrel...

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of the 24's. I found them rather worthless. While functional they try to do two jobs and do neither very well. This type of thing has always been popular in Europe but not here in the USA. But if you like 'em, great.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Can't argue with that except to say that if you're gonna have one gun a multi-functional type like the 24 or 42 in the right configuration could be ideal. I really am thinking "one gun" only though myself.

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You can't beat a Springfield M6 Scout.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I dunno -- I kinda like the Savage idea as a more regularly useable gun. The one you'd hang over the mantle. Keep in the truck. Hide at the Summer cottage. I'd even buy one myself in the right chamberings and configuration.

The M-6? Never quite got there. Looked, even sorta admired 'em, but could never pull the trigger (or squeeze it in the M-6's case I guess). I just couldn't justify one. Go figure: I have a few different types of what I'd call "survival" guns including a Savage 24 though, LOL, and it sorta is pretty bad for any individual kind of gun in some respects as a previous poster said.

But they are useful for many applications so we balance the issues out and ya gotta laugh at 'em and love 'em.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

An lgs has a 24 in 22mag/20 gauge. He wants $430 for it.:eek: I am wondering what could be done with the sights. Thinking ghost ring and fiber optic front. The new ones are made cheap but the 22lr/410 would make a good squirrel gun. I would want an older one just like I am looking for an older Marlin 1894C.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Everybody play nice now.

[​IMG]

17. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

That's pricey, but it's a seller's market for that kind of gun these days. I remember them going for a song and a dance at every gun shop in the country and they collected dust at that. That's a pretty perfect combination though IMO.

$430. See what Savage is missing out on!?

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i hate say it, but the M42 looks like crap compared to the M24 Savage. at least the 24 had wood furniture.

19. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Even with a synthetic stocks the 24 is a better looking gun.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Utility player. It's already a takedown gun, but put a collapsible stock (not wood but more like Mossberg's lever action) on a stainless steel 42 with 18" barrels, .22 Mag over light Improved Cylinder 20 or even .223 over 12 ga., and I'd be so there!