New Savage Model 10 Range Report

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dunerunner, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Wow, What a difference!!

Bought a box of Winchester Super X .308 150 gr. Power Point, and they fire just fine in the Savage. No extraction issues, Nada!

The Magtech 9.72g 150 gr. FMC 308A, is a whole other story. They expand in the chamber and require a hefty rap on the bolt to extract.

I have some pics but the digital doesn't have a Macro lens so they aren't that good. You can just make out the ridge, well; I can cause I know it's there, at the shoulder of the cartridge.

Never mind, I pulled the pics as the camera wouldn't focus close enough to make out any detail!! Cheap #%@$%^% camera!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I can't get the attachments to open. I guess it's time to trade the Magtech ammo for some Winchester. I'm glad it's shooting well for you. I know you were initially disappointed.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

One more trip to the range to get the optics right and I'll post some targets. Rough adjustment and I think she'll be an absolute sweet shooter.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Monday I contact Magtech and Savage and ask them both the same question.....

Why does my rifle have problems with Magtech ammo?

I really don't want to be spending $1 per shot when I take this beauty out to the range!

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Maybe you can pick up some Milsurp ammunition. The ammo supply is starting to loosen up. There's some Lake City around and South African and Aussie ammo is excellent quality as well.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Dune you better start reloading.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thanks Tango, just the push I needed to buy some gear. Now to add on to the house so I have a place for the 20 gallon all grain brew system and a place for my reloading shop!! I llike it! :D

I have a friend who is heavily into reloading and for the cost of the new dies and what ever else he needs, I'm sure he would crank out 100 rounds or so in quality brass.

It's a skill I need to acquire anyway.......SHTF stuff.