new Savage 111 and Choate sniper stock?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jt41time, Dec 8, 2012.

1. jt41time

jt41time New Member

I am about to buy a new 111. I really want the choate sniper stock on it. Problem is, the stocks are not compatible with the mag design. Is it possible to mod the stock to make it work?
    The savage 111 is right in my price range. And so is the stock. But I'm getting a little aggravated with all of this..... please help.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well,the sporter barreled 111 action will look awful funny in that stock,it's designed for a heavy barrel and can fit up to a 1 1/4" diameter barrel.
    If you want to keep the detachable magazine,the stock will have to be inletted for the bottom metal. You can contact Fred Choate,and ask if they would inlet the stock,or they do offer their Tactical stock that will accept you bottom metal and magazine.

3. jt41time

jt41time New Member

Can I put an Accutrigger on a non accutrigger 111 after I get it? Or am I stuck buying one with it? A little topic change........ sorry

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Sounds like you want it all. You need to buy an aftermarket trigger, the accutrigger won't fit older models. My old Savage 110 has a pretty decent trigger. Try it before you make a change. You need to read up on Savage rifles.
    One line of BS here can make for a world of OS on your side. 2 posts and your aggravated. That is a bad sign.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

No, it sounds like he's buying the wrong gun.

You're buying the wrong gun. If its a money thing, save up for what you want. You'll be happier in the end.

My 308 and scope cost about $2000. It will do things a sporter barrelled hunting rifle won't.

6. jt41time

jt41time New Member

7. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

9. Txhillbilly

Kevin at Stockade Custom Guns can/will install an Accu-trigger on a non Accu-trigger gun. But it will cost more than it's worth.
    Rifle Basix and Sharp Shooter's Supply triggers would be the best choice for a good aftermarket trigger for a Savage.

If your set on getting the Choate stock,why not just buy a model 10/110 with the blind magazine,and everything will fit without any modifying.

Just what are you wanting to do with the rifle?
    If you are wanting to hunt with the rifle,you probably won't like toting it around with the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock.Beside's being heavy,the shape of the stock is awkward to carry around.
    If you are wanting a target rifle,you won't be happy with a sporter barrel. There's nothing wrong with that contour of barrel,but they heat up after a couple shots,and the accuracy will fall off fast after it heats up.

Personally,I'd just save my money until I could buy the exact rifle that I was wanting.

I have several Choate stocks,and really like the Tactical version over the Ultimate series.
    I have my 300WM in a Ultimate varminter stock only because I can add weight to the stock. It weighs around 17lbs,and serves the purpose that I intended it for,Long range shooting. I have no problem shooting 100+ rounds a day with it in this stock,but you ain't going to walk up a hill with it on your back.

[​IMG]

My heavy barreled 25/06 and 308 are in the Choate Tactical stocks. I really like everything about these stocks,and these rifles weigh in around 10lbs with optics.

[​IMG]

10. jt41time

jt41time New Member

Herstoce's what I want......

I love the looks of the sniper stock. Love pistol grips. (I miss my g3, no-CA legal).
    Nice trigger.
    I want to use it for target practice and playing around.
    .223 so no real hunting.
    I want lay down in the desert and plug away at anything at range and take my time setting up a shot and taking it.
    Very much a budget. Pay as little up front as possible and slowly build.

So here's what I think I decided on. A savage 111 hunter xp .223. Choate super sniper stock. Upgrade the trigger with a basix or similar. Upgrade barrel to heavy 24". Bipod. Nice 150$ scope.
    510$ up front. And next will be the stock at 200. Then trigger at 100 then scope at 150 then barrel at ???.

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Barrels can be 100-400.

You seriously need to think about this some more. Spending $500+ for a gun that you will only be using the action from.

Save money, just buy a 111 short action. That should only run 2-300. You've already saved 2-300 bucks.

12. Txhillbilly

Have you looked for a used Model 10FP or Model 12FV Savage in 223?
    You can find some really good deals on them if you look for around $350,then you'd already have a heavy barreled action to start with.
    I bought my Model 110FLP 300WM,Model 12FLV 308,and Model 12FLVSS 223 all used,and didn't pay over $350 for any of them. They were all in factory stock form,and I just made each into what I wanted.

13. jt41time

jt41time New Member

Have a link to what you are talking about? I like saving money.

14. Txhillbilly

(1) Find a used Stevens 200 or Savage 10/11/12/14/16 for a cheap price.
    (2) Buy an Action wrench,Barrel Nut wrench,and a set of Go/No Go gauges.
    (3) Buy whatever brand/type of Barrel you can afford.
    (4) Buy whatever stock you want to put the action/barrel in.
    (5) Buy whatever type of trigger you want,if the action doesn't have a trigger you like.
    (6) Read this link- http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/swapping-barrels-savage-70590/
    (7) Put it all together,and shoot the thing!

You can get a Savage heavy barrel for around $200,or buy a custom barrel like a Criterion,Shillen or McGowen for around $300-400 at Northland Shooters Supply.

There are too many good used rifles out there that can be bought for $250-350.
    You can use any short action rifle,but if the bolt head isn't the right size,it will also need to be changed.This is a simple process,and cost $50-60 for parts.

15. jt41time

jt41time New Member

I found a hunter xp .223 for 380$ new.

Question...... short action for smaller bullets, long for 308,30_06? Etc.....? What is the real diff? Don't flame me for being dumb on this. New to rifles.

16. Txhillbilly

Make sure that it has the bolt release lever on the top/right side of the action,and not the bolt release button on the front of the trigger guard.
    If it has the bolt release button,you'll not be able to get the Choate stock that your wanting,unless they have designed a new stock for it.

There are 3 different length's of actions for Savage's- Short Magnum,Short,and Long. The difference is the length of the cartridge that they shoot,not the bullet size.
    On older Savage rifles,they were all made with a Long action receiver,and they had modified blind magazines for the short action calibers.

Here's a pic of the Bolt release lever that you should look for on the rifle. It's just below the word WEAVER on my scope base rail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012