New Savage 110 and smith 5904

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Nov 8, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Just got a new smith 5904 and a savage 110 with nothing on it but hole to put a scope rail and no scope any thing u know of I should get this will be my new hunting rifle and what about a rear round holder does anyone have any links to them ? And I'm going to take a scope off another gun and put it on . As for the 5904 it came with laser grips and I got all of this for 450$ and the rent he could not pay

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Cabelas has a ammo pouch for the stock for about 10 bucks make sure to bore sight the scope u put on it becouse even tho it was dead on it wont be on a different gun so save some ammo an bore sight it

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Also the smith 5904 is a good shooter by in bulk u will need it its easy to pop through 50 rounds so by bulk an smile till yer empty

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Sorry didnt see the bipod on the savage get rid of it get a good shootin stick way more hunter friendly but hell thats my thought an im stickin to it I lost a world class arizona mule deer becouse I couldnt get settled on him fast enough with the bipod im talkin a true 210 to 220 inch buck the bipod to me is for the range not huntin

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Could someone explain to me what bore sighting is ? And was this a good deal for around 500$?

6. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Could someone explain to me what bore sighting is ? And was this a good deal for around 500$?

7. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Can I get a link I can't find it ?

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Bore sighting means u place a bore sighter into the rifles barrel look through a scope line the crosshairs up in the grid but since u havent done this go to yer local gun shop an have them do it but also have them explain the proces as they bore sight it so u have a solid idea how to perform the task in the future so in a nut shell u are settin the scope to hit the target at 25 yards within the target ot wont be dead on then once u move the left right an up or down to hit the bulls eye u then need to set the new target to 100 yards to get the proper zero for yer rifle what is the caliber I will help u srt it to the right hight at 100 yards

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

U got a solid pair of guns for what u paid dont worry u did good

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Also here is the bullet band at cabelas enter this part number in the search box xm -22-8003

11. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I'm kinda worried about the savage tho the firing pin sounds a bit light when dry fired :/ does anyone else own one and could confirm that with a light dry fire noise does it still strike and fire?

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Why are u dry firein the gun any way an besides its a dry fire not a loaded round goin off its not gonna go bang stop worryin an quit pullin the damn trigger without a snap cap in it or u will have probs

13. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Dry fried it once to see if it clicked because I had a bad outcome with a brand new rifle out of the box and I didn't dry fire it and well no click no refund could have had just as much fun throwing the money at the wife

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

bore sighting is simply looking down the bore with the bolt removed lining it up on a target then adjusting the scope or sights to match. there are bore sighting tools but i find them less than useful.

dry firing wont hurt it one bit.

but my savage model 10 had a very light strike problem. had to get a new firing pin spring. if there is one issue that savages seem to have its too light of a firing pin spring.

diy a firing pin spring swap on a savage bolt isnt easy

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/disassembly-reassembly-savage-10-bolt-50826/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Ok u go with that thought tha dry fire wont affect it haaaaaa atta boy for stupid comments why do u think they have snap caps that are designed to relieve the stres of a dry fire duhhhhhh

16. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Well the spring sounded unusually light well I guess we will find out at the range

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

As for the bore sight method u mention well good luck bet I can get mine a hell of alot closer usin a bore sight tool than u can lookin through the barrel modern tools do work but hey keep lookin down the barrel like its 1945

18. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Well the spring sounded unusually light well I guess we will find out at the range

19. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Regardless of what you think, repeatedly dry firing a weapon can and WILL cause problems. Firing once or twice while empty shouldn't hurt, but don't do it every time you pick the rifle up ;)

As forBore-Sighting, it is an extremely effective and accurate method for sighting a rifle at reasonable distances. As it doesn't seem that you are very easier with weapons, let alone sighting and firing, you should probably take the advice offered you and go with Bore-Sighting. Removing the bolt and looking down the barrel is a rather unreliable method as it can leave you multiple inches off target.

Just go to Wal Mart and spend 30 bucks for a cheap bore sighting kit; you'll be glad that you did, I guarantee you. And quit dry firing that rifle unless you want trouble with it after a while ;)

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant!....... Not the skunk smellin' stuff in your BugOut bag!!! The stuff that makes you hit that target

20. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Well guess that I'll find out saturday then