New SA 1911 Mil Spec shoots great

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by stans1xd, Jan 3, 2014.

1. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

First day at the range today. The gun shoots dead on (no pun intended) off sandbags. I'm shooting the gun at 9:00 o'clock between the 7-10 ring. I need to work on my grip as this is where I shoot all my guns.

2. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

Sounds like a bit of jerk during trigger pull... The anticipation makes for the low shot but I'm sure you already knew that

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Congrats on a good purchase!

4. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

I do jerk the trigger on occasion, but this is different. More left than down and left. Thanks, only shot 50 rounds but I love the gun.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Is this your first or only 1911?

I've had the same issue with mine since day one, and never with any other gun (this is my first and only 1911). I have the same model too, SA 1911 Milspec.

I compensate with Kentucky windage. Probably going to drift the rear sight sometime or another.

6. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

First 1911. But I was shooting my xd9sc exactly the same on the same day. Shooting the1911 off sandbags it hit the center of the bullseye. I'm convinced it's me.

7. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Photos of first targets

First target, 7 yards:
    [​IMG]
    Second target, 7 yards:
    [​IMG]
    Beauty shot:
    [​IMG]
    Third target 50 feet:
    [​IMG]
    Fourth target, 50 feet, ran out of ammo.
    [​IMG]
    General rahge shot, targets on stands are at 7 yards, back targets are at 50 feet.
    [​IMG]

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are hitting dead center when it is rested, then you need to adjust your grip, and an mount of trigger finger inside the trigger guard. Don't over grip, or squeeze too tight, and don't leave it too loose. Then work on getting the same grip every time until it becomes natural. You can work on this and check it by just gripping the gun aiming at a target, then lowering the gun and bringing it back up with you eyes closed. Open your eyes and see if you are still in target. If the whole gun is off just a bit, adjust your grip. If you are way off adjust your feet until you are pointing at the target, when you bring the gun back up.

9. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Thanks, I'll keep posting hopefully results will be better.

10. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Thanks for all the help!

I'm a right handed shooter. My thoughts are that it could be:
    1. flinching: Usually my flinch shots go low and left.
    2. Not enough trigger finger engagement pushing the gun left.
    3. Too much grip tension with my right hand fingers pushing the gun left.

Most of the shots were with a two handed grip.
    Strong hand: thumb loose, & over weak hand thumb, fingers tight
    Weak hand: thumb on the take down lever, fingers wrapped around strong hand fingers.
    Trigger finger: centered on the end between the end and last knuckle.

I tried dry firing today with more trigger finger engagement, up to the last knuckle, and less strong hand finger grip, which pushes the weak hand away from the gun a bit. Also a bit more lateral pressure on the gun with my weak hand thumb. The front sight looked solid, but not sure how it will translate to live fire.

I will say that typically I shoot left of aim and have had a hard time breaking myself of that. I have an XD9SC that has had the rear sight drift adjusted all over the place trying to correct the problem, but it doesn't seem to work, so now that I'm doing the same thing with this gun, I have met my enemy and it is me.

Keep the ideas coming, I will keep shooting and posting targets. My next time at the range will be next weekend.

11. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

Try using this chart. It's really good with helping diagnose shot placement issues. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389759392.822693.jpg

12. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

My sensei ( the guy who is watching me) thinks my problem is too little trigger finger, primarily, with some jerking and heeling thrown in to confuse the issue.

Friday will likely be my next time at the range with the gun. I plan to start shooting at 10ft until I get a good group, then move the target to 7yds, and finally 50 ft. I will load 1 round at a time, concentrate on fundamentals and see where I get.

13. bigwoody698

bigwoody698 New Member

First day at the range with my NIB Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. 250+ rounds and not a single failure to feed or fire. Used Winchester White Box and Blazer 230 gr. FMJ. Also about 3 mags of JHP. Even more impressive is what a crack shot this gun makes me. And it is all the gun. I was just along for the ride. This is just a magnificent handgun. If anyone is looking for their first 1911 and are on a budget look at the SA MIL SPEC first.

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

your sensei sounds like a smart guy...take his advice. Congrats on the new Springer, have always had one on the wish list.

15. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Back at the range

Here are some photos from Friday at the range:
    Here is a comfidence target at 10 feet:
    [​IMG]

Here is a 50 foot target:
    [​IMG]

I should say that I have been shooting bulseye for about a year with a S&W 22A-1. I eventually want to start shooting the 1911 for centerfire bullseye. Both targets were shot with my strong (right) hand only.

I have always heard that your strong hand grip should be moderate so as to not affect trigger pull. It appears that my idea of a moderate grip is a lot less than that of my sensei. His comment was that he holds the pistol firmly enough to "squeeze the oil out of it".

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, pretty much this...

17. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Latest target at 50 feet

[​IMG]

18. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Wouldn't want you shooting at me. Looks like good shooting to me.

19. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Thanks!

I want to use this pistol to shoot in bullseye centerfire competition. That said I still have a ways to go to be competitive at my club.

20. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Latest target pics

Both at 50 feet:

Strong hand only, 30 rounds:

[​IMG]

Two handed, 70 rounds:

[​IMG]

My shooting with this gun is starting to look better.