New S&W 686-6

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 400Grayne, Oct 2, 2020.

1. 400Grayne

400Grayne New Member

Hello gentlemen,

Its been awhile since I last posted here. I recently bought a 4" 686-6 .357 magnum, and I am delighted in it.

However, when I was taking it apart and cleaning it up, I defaced the thumbpiece / latch nut slightly with my screwdriver. I figured this would be a few dollars replacement, but instead I cant even find the item online?

I'm really busy and dont have a lot of time to hunt stuff like this down. A quick link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Bigcat, Rifling82 and JimRau like this.
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

4. 400Grayne

400Grayne New Member

5. 400Grayne

400Grayne New Member

Bigcat, PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

No problem

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My first place to look would be the Gun smithing screw assortment at my local ACE hardware. I’m in rural Idaho, so the selection at your ACE might vary, but mine has eight of the drawers with guns smithing screws.

You will have hard time sourcing a screw by the gun make/model because modern manufacturers tend to use a standard screw, when they can instead of using something custom and specific to their firearm, because the custom costs three times as much.

If you can’t find one I think S&W will still sell them. It just might cost as much as the good set of screw drivers you need to keep from buggering up the screws.

And, there is always eBay: Way more parts than you need, but it does include teh screw you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264864176263

8. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

I have been on the phone twice lately getting sight parts for my 586-0. People I talked to at Smith were helpful. My suggestion is to call S&W customer service at some point. One parts supplier was charging $2.50 for screw that Smith was asking fifty cents.

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

But you could have bought a Taurus. dunce.gif

jackrich3 and Rifling82 like this.
  10. Mowgli Terry

11. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a member that puts Taurus on par with S&W. Just a little witty tweak.:rolleyes:

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would suggest if you are going to do any work on weapons? Purchase a set of Hollow Ground Screw Drivers. The Screwdriver Blades are cut exactly for the specific screw slot.
    Regular Screwdrivers are "BAD NEWS" when it comes to working on weapons!
    If and when I ever buy a used weapon. I always check the Screw Slots for any damage. If I see damaged screw slots I will not buy it.
    Here is a picture of an inexpensive Hollow Ground Set.

Weaver Compact Gunsmith Tool Kit

$17.99
    Hollow Ground Screw Driver Set.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    targa and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Mowgli Terry

How it is here on the hill: I don't mind the burred up screws if its an easy replacements. But, I have to remember that these screws are a sign that Bubba may have been inside the gun. Really burred up screws are a fair warning of what may come. Burred screws on an old SXS shotgun is a serious curse.

I'd also suggest having some way or fixture to hold the gun while screwdrivers are in use. OP's burred screw, I believe, is a part not just a common screw.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am the same way. If they have buggered up the screws, you don't know what else they have "improved."

Sniper03 likes this.
  15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Terry and Chain I am with you! I call them Jack the Hack! And if they s****ed up the screws what else have they S****ed up?:rolleyes:

Mowgli Terry likes this.