New Ruger SR1911 range report

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Richard K, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Richard K

Richard K New Member

Been away for awhile but am back into 1911's.
    After a year long wait I finally got an SR1911.
    Got to the range and am very pleased with the results. I shot it alongside my Colt XSE and got better groups with it even though it has a slightly heavier trigger than the Colt (Ruger-4lbs 10oz, Colt 4lbs 6oz.).

The recoil spring in the Ruger is noticably heavier than the 16lb Wolf spring in the Colt and helped controllability on follow up shots. I put 300 rounds through it and had only one minor issue. On the first mag change the mag release stuck in the depressed position. I put a drop of oil on it and I never had another issue with it.

I shot Hornady TAP HP's, Federal Hydra-Shok, Remington jacketed HP's and Winchester FMJ (all 230 gr.) I used the Ruger factory, Wilson, Chip McCormick, ACT and Colt mags. Never had a failure to feed, fire or eject. Fired cases landed at about five o'clock and 10 feet from the gun.

At seven yards offhand I put 19 rounds into one ragged hole and from a bench at 25 yards I got several 3" groups. At 50 yards from the bench I was routinely hitting clay birds. I'm very happly with this Ruger.
    [​IMG]

2. fupuk

fupuk New Member

You make me mad. Ive been looking for one of those for about three months. Ive never even seen one yet, no one around me keeps it in stock. Or if they do get them in they only get a couple and they are gone in a few hours. If you like i will come to your house and take it off your hands. I know you really dont like it that much.....

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Buds has one up for bids right now...appears to be the exact model the OP posted...

4. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Good review. Congrats on your new sr1911!

5. Richard K

Richard K New Member

Sorry I angered you (not really) As I stated in my OP I looked for one for over a year before I got this one. Ruger has, purportedly, doubled production recently. If so, they should become more readily available. The more I shoot this thing the more I like it and now prefer it over my Colt XSE. The only 1911 I've had that I prefer over it would be my Les Baer but only slightly. The Les Baer is, no doubt, more accurate but I can't tell the difference and it was 3 times the price. Hope you find one soon.

Thanks Nickle1911

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i get the same story at my LGS about them. he has only gotten three in his shop to date and none of them lasted very long on the shelf. he told me a couple of weeks ago, that Ruger is not taking any new orders at this time to help pick up production. he also said he expects in either August or September that orders will be starting to be sent out. the SR1911 is definately one i am interested in getting. i am glad to hear a review about them and hearing this one, makes me want one even more now.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rich,

Nice 1911 looks great and obviously it shoots well also. I have not had the chance to see or handle one at the present but would like to look at one close!

8. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

You will really enjoy your SR1911. Mine has been a lot of fun !

Attached Files:

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Local store is getting some 20 to 30 Ruger SR1911 in Friday. Last time they got 40 of them in, they were sold within 48 hours after word hits the street.

10. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I have one on layaway. The cheapest i could find was $729

11. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I saw one yesterday used for $650. Looked brand new though. Call Larry's in Huntsville, al. Their website is www.pistolandpawn.com. They will ship to your FFL.