NEW Ruger 101 4.2 357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by martyd, Jan 18, 2012.

1. martyd

martyd New Member

I saw this gun today. Its real nice - Now this is more money i got to spend.
    Guys go check it out. Did anyone shoot it yet ? Let me know. Big kick ?
    Marty D.

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I've shot my sons' in 3 inch. Superb gun. If you get one I would recommend the hougue mono grips.

3. martyd

martyd New Member

Did you shot 38 or 357- I heard a 357 next to me at a indoor range and i jumped every time he shot it.

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

357, the cool factor will override your jumping when your the shooter. Maybe alittle flinching first box or so. The grips I mentioned seemed to transfer the energy alot better than the stock grips. IMHO

5. martyd

martyd New Member

Nice- The guy who was shoting it -told me he shot it at night and the flash on it was enough to light up a room. I just bought a 308 rifle now i must get that Ruger.. Cant wait!!

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Send some pics when you get it.

7. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I already own an SP101 3inch barrel with the Hogue grips...it's my daily carry gun...came across a 4inch barreled version at a recent gun show and I didn't want to hand it back to the guy behind the table. Definitely like the extra barrel length and the fiber optic sight. Great revolver! I love the way my 3inch barrel SP101 shoots both .38 and .357 so I can only imagine the longer barrel would be even better. A great home-defense, backpacking or even a reasonably concealable carry gun I would say!

8. martyd

martyd New Member

Ruger sp101

I went to buy the new ruger sp101 357. Last week , held it in my hand and didnt like the handle. It was to small. Great looking gun but it also was front heavy ( top heavy) it was to much gun for the handle. That's my 2 cents. But I did get the the s&w 686-6 357 with fiber opt. Have not shot it yet. This gun fits my hand real good. The ruger just couldn't get a good hold on it . Marty d.

9. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

It's all about how it feels in the hand. The S&W 686 is a fine choice. 357mag will ring your bell...make sure you protect your ears. :D

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

My SP 101 is a 2.25 .357 and has noticeable felt recoil, I put the Hougue mono grips on it and I am very happy with it now. The difference between the .38 and the .357 rounds is like a 9mm to a .45, as you hear and feel the sound more :D The longer barrel should help to manage recoil.