New RRA upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Jun 26, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

just put in an order for one of these A2 uppers:

[​IMG]

i ordered it with 1/4 moa adjustments and a bead blast finish with .040 rear aperture.

its time i stopped dinking around with milsurp AR15s

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What is a NM Carry Handle??:confused:

Looks like you got yourself a good one there, advertising aside. I am looking forward to the final Range Report. ;)

JD

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not an a4 fan but what understand they mean the detachable handle has the NM rear sight parts.

sorry for the advert but i couldnt find just a pic of the upper and the thread woulda been worthless without a pic :(

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Looks pretty good!

Is there a long wait time?

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice, Jon. I'm also interested in how it shoots. RRA barrels are accurate and the NM irons will be interesting.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

they say 60-90 days. my 458 socom upper from them was right at 120 days

thats what my research suggested (95% of which was older posts here at ftf) and i LOVE shooting iron sights. came in second today in the iron 50 match at my fav range. post about it in the comp forum!! http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/mcmiller-iron-50-a-44383/

ive got a leupold mk4 scope and will prolly get a nightforce at some point for it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

Good choice, what lower are you using?

I have RRA ATH, nice gun. The barrels are decent, I think they use Wilson.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a rra lower decked out in A2 format but with A1 grip. got their 2 stage trigger on order to replace the dpms trigger and sear. gonna slap some triangle hand guards on it hehehhe the lower is also the base for my 458socom, 45acp and A1 uppers

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Looking forward to seeing some targets.

Good job on the comp.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i can guarantee it soon as it gets here. ill have some loaded ammo ready to go.

11. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

Sounds like a good combo. I like the RRA 2 stage alot.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Awesome.

I need a 1:8 barrel. It keeps getting said but every time I purchase a new upper I go back to 1:7.

Doesn't look like they sell one already threaded though.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I think you will be very happy with that RRA upper there Jon. My RRA build has been a peach performer. :cool:

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I ordered it with bead blast finish not really sure what that is but after seeing how well the bead blast on my 460 rowland came out i went with it in hopes it will get rid of most of that silver stainless look. If it doesnt ill have to get it parkerized.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Hey Jon you can't figure out the facebook thread but you got this one figured out. Nice lookin upper you got there.

The bead blasting will give it an almost dull gray like Rugers Target Gray rifles. I wish I would have spent the extra $$$ on it.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JonM,

I do not believe you will be disappointed with the RRA NM. It should actualy be a 1/4 to 1/2 MOA Upper from the bags! If you got the A-4 with the Removable Rear Sight Assembly that is also good if you ever plan on scoping the rifle and or changing out the Fixed Front Sight Post to a Weaver Rail or Flip up system. The NM Carry Handle as one of the guys ask about is of a special design when the Removables were made legal for DCM and Camp Perry competition. The removable NM Carry Handle is not your normal Carry Handle. It had to be redesigned inside so that the Removable Carry Handle & Rear Sight could obtain both adjustment for 600 Yards and be able to return to under 200 Yard Zero. RRA worked that out when it became legal a few years ago. Also just for an inside note! The NM Barrel used on the RRA National Match Rifles (20") are the same barrels used on the Predator Pursuit Model (20" Rifle) less the A-2 Front Sight Housing. Good luck and let us know how it shoots!:D

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i ordered the fixed A2 upper version. ive never liked the looks of the detachable handles. my wife's AR has one and i really dont like it. the little knobs seem to go out of their way to hang on everything. just personal pref. i do intend to scope it to see what it can really do, but ive been shooting scopes off my SP1 carry handle since around 1986. its just what im used to. main use is open sights tho. the low scope mount just feels odd to me.

im really anxious to try it out. went and looked up some pics of their bead blast stainless it looks pretty sweet. kinda looks like halfway tween stainless and grey parkerizing.

18. Sniper03

Jon,

That is correct! The bead blasted finish looks like a dull light grey! And will not reflect. My RRA NM is also a fixed and a fine rifle. I have varmint rifles so I wanted the real McCoy Match Rifle. Also got the hardware in Black since the Green Hardware (Free Float Handguard) is not the new NM Thermal Mold Material. The Thermal Mold is much more rigid without any of the flex experienced in the Green or standard NM Handguard hardware.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

this one comes with the thermold guards but im partial to the triangle guards i hope they swap in and out in case some match official decides triangle guards arent real m16 issue heh.

i had so much fun with that iron 50 match sunday i want to do more matches but my rifles are all milsurp or hunting guns. which is the reason i ordered this upper.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  20. Sniper03

Jon,

The traditional triangle handguards WILL FIT on the Rock River NM Rifle.
    :D