New Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by scbuckstalker, Jun 23, 2011.

1. scbuckstalker

scbuckstalker New Member

I am going through the process of buying a new rifle for deer this season. im looking for something in a 30-06 caliber and have 1 option atm. i was looking at the Bertta Tikka T3 and am liking it so far. Any suggestions are aprecitate but my price range is about 700 or lower. Thanks:)

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 and it was definitely light. It would be a good hunting rifle because it would be light to carry for long periods. But for extended sessions at the range, it wasn't fun. It's a carry a lot, shoot a little rifle.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd shop gunbroker.

A Mosin-Nagant has incredible accuracy, and it's hard to find a sniper

model, mint, fully equipped, for over 450$. Ballistics on the (much cheaper)

ammo is close to a 30-06, thought by some to be even better.

Weight might be an issue, however.

Have you shot a Tikka?

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Lots of options. Howa, Savage,....
    Do you want iron sights??

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Savage Arms is about the best bang for your buck with any production rifle. Dead accurate out of the box and the accu-trigger is incredible. Highly suggest you look at their stuff.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Ruger M77 is an affordable option and great classic bolt gun. My son's first was an M77 in .243 win for white tail.

Personally I prefer the challenge of a single shot and deer hunt with a Thompson Center in 30.06. There are many good hunting calibers but most would agree the 30.06 is the most versatile.

7. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

Have you thought of a nice mauser?
    My brother bagged two WT last season with his, and the ammo (7.92x57mm) is a little cheaper than .30-06

8. firelooker

firelooker New Member

I agree I own two Savages a 30-06 and a 300 WSM, The 06 is fun to shoot the 300 is a monster but still easy to shoot.

9. scbuckstalker

scbuckstalker New Member

thanks for all of the suggestions