New rifle (new to me)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rockjeep94, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Picked up a new rifle yesterday can't wait to go sight it in. Savage 300 win mag

Attached Files:

2. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

what scope do you have on it? Also, does it have the accutrigger? picture is kind of blurry :(

3. longunner

longunner New Member

nice looks just like my axis

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congrats. Enjoy your new stick.

5. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

No accu trigger :( Burris scope but first big rifle I have owned. Going to site it in tomorrow any suggestions for ammo I'm new to rifles feels like a great fit for me

6. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

3x9 x40 Burris field master 2

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Your new to rifles,and go get a 300WM. Man,your in for a RECOIL surprise with that rifle.
    I like to shoot 300 WM's,but for a first big caliber rifle you bit off a little more than you should have,IMO. Hopefully,that POS factory stock won't beat your shoulder too badly,but there are plenty of aftermarket stocks available for it.
    The Savage 16 is a great rifle,and will serve you well. Nice buy!

8. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Maybe I should re clarify new to owning a big rifle i have shot lots of friends rifles I have an sks I know it's big just didn't want to get something I would want to upgrade sooner then later. A limb saver goes a long ways :)

9. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

A limb saver is basically a requirement for that caliber. Also, dont be surprised if that scope gives out under the recoil of that gun. Were not trying to disappoint you, but we do want you to have the best experience with your new rifle :)

I had a savage 270 as my first big bore that had a turd 3-9 scope on it. My lack of shooting skill plus the zero freaking eye relief caused me to extend my body uncomfortably to shoot the gun. So it destroyed my shoulder and smacked me in the face on the regular. Sold it because i grew to hate it. Dont want you to go down the same path.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great stick!

Hold on to 'er.

11. minniehill

minniehill New Member

I don't need one on my 300 ultra mag.

12. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Well i envy you!! If im laying down prone, i can get away with it, but if im standing or kneeling, i get destroyed in the shoulder. I avoid anything other than a 308. Im a small dude, so ive got no protection there.

13. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I would invest in a good kick pad. I'm not sure how far you want to be back when you site it in from your target but I would start about 25 yards. Shoot 3 times, adjust your shoulder as you look at your target. Make your adjustments on your scope and shoot 3 more times. Keep doing this until you can hit the center of your target. Then move your target out to 50 yards and the same until you get it zeroed in to the distance you want. Make note if you shoot a different round for hunting then zero in with that ammo again before hunting.

14. minniehill

minniehill New Member

Watch the vids on YouTube on sighting in. 1 or 2 shots at 50 yards then right to 200 for final 2 shots.
    Done, 4 shells MAX

15. Colby

Colby New Member

Nice rifle!
    Big caliber! Ya gotta admire it.