New rifle and member

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by noremf, Jul 14, 2010.

1. noremf

noremf New Member

Hello new to forum. I just picked up a Savage model 12 F/TR .308 Win and love it. The best price for a scope is one that is paid for I put a Konus 8.5X32-52MM on a 20 moa scope rail that I had sitting here. I have a 4 position but plate I am thinking of putting on and the scope has its own level. I will admit it might be overkill on the scope but as I said it is paid for. I am here to learn so any advice will be appreciated.:D

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Welcome to the FTF....and nice choice in a rifle. I think Savage is offering the best bang for the buck (no pun) in rifles nowadays. Stick around and you'll pick up LOTS of knowledge!

3. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

I like savages nice choice welcome to the forums I don't if you have been to the introductions but if you have go there and welcome to the forums.

4. noremf

noremf New Member

Just wondering what is the overall Consensus on the groupings for 100,300,600
    for the Model 12 F/TR .308 and I do realize that it is depending on the expertise of the shooter I am just asking as a generality.
    :confused:

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Good groups all depend on the ammo you are shooting.

First,if this is a new rifle-Break the barrel in. Savage guns are great shooters out of the box for the most part,but a new barrel should be broke in if you are wanting to get the best accuracy out of it.

Break-In & Cleaning

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Centerfire Maintenance

You will also need to find out just what type of bullets/weights your barrel likes to shoot.If you don't reload,then you'll just have to try different brands/weights of factory ammo,and that can get very expensive-fast.

Most 308's shoot 150-180gr bullets pretty good,no matter the brand,but sometimes you can get one that is very picky about what it shoots good.

A Model 12 Savage should shoot 1 moa or better all day long with the right ammo and a good shooter pulling the trigger.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Welcome to the FTF. You have a pic of said rifle?

7. noremf

noremf New Member

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 F/TR I don't have a picture of mine yet my son in-law has my digital with him on vacation. As soon as he gets back I will be able to post one. As far as ammo I thought I would start out with Federal Gold Medal Match Win 168grain. I also have some SSA 175gr Sierra OTM to try. They both do well in my M1A and my FNAR but the M1A really likes the 168gr and I am starting to reload.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for the link. That rifle is sweet *** sweet. Have fun with her.

9. noremf

noremf New Member

Here is a picture of my new sweetheart.:D

Attached Files:

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice looking stick.

But your scope is sitting pretty high. What kind of rings and mounts are those?

11. noremf

noremf New Member

12. opaww

opaww New Member

Nice looking rifle, I shoot 168gr Hornady HPBT match in my Howa and it seems to like it a lot, but I think my Howa likes the Sierra 165gr HPBT game kings better.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Good looking rifle.

But why did you add a mount to a mount? Why didn't you just get picatinny rings?

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Good loooking stick you got there.

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Noremf,The scope mount you have is a great mount but it was designed to be used on an AR type weapon-a flattop receiver mount.
    You would be better served using a set of scope rings for a Weaver/Picatinny style. A medium height set of quality rings should work fine.

I personally prefer Burris Signature Zee rings,but there are plenty others that would fit your needs. You can get the scope down close to the barrel using a set of rings,instead of using a scope mount on top of a base rail.

[​IMG]

16. noremf

noremf New Member

There I was moving along at 80 on my ST1300 Honda came into a corner and hit gravel the person behind me said I flipped 2 times before being body slammed on my back. After that I find it difficult to move my neck, among other things, in to different positions (dumb *** to the max) so this gives me the best relief. Believe me that was crawl to the curb and c--- your pants pain.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

OUCH!

But thanks for giving a reason for the scope height.

Now we want to see some groups.

18. noremf

noremf New Member

Those will be posted soon.