New RIA Compact

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ParhfinderAFW, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Just got a chance to test fire my "new" (to me) RIA Compact! Ate everything I gave it except through the ACT mag that came with it and had one fail to feed from that. Cycled flawlessly with the Chip McCormick match grade mags. Now to replace grips and mainspring housing! Anyone here tried Hogue's G10 piranha grips?

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

buy some qaulity mags to replace the crappy OEM mags that came with the pistol. this is the only place where some of the lesser expensive 1911's cheap out at, the mags. but it's a simple fix, and most of us buy more mags anyways. i like the Chip McCormack mags and the Wilson Combat mags and use both as my go to mags for a 1911. have yet to have a problem with either brand. another brnd that gets high marks from those who use them are the Tripp Research mags. one day i hope to try them out as well. Tripp Research mags are made by the gentleman who originally founded STI who makes really nice 1911's. he should know a few things about 1911's!

just curious as to why you want to change out the MSH. any particular reason?

personally i have never used Hogue grips on any 1911, but have used them for years on other pistols and revolvers. i give them high marks as well for being a quality product.

also Google "custom 1911 grips" and you will get a few thousand hits to digest through. check out Brown's Custom Grips. he is a member here on the forum under the username Olympus and he shows off some of his custom grips on thread about 1911 grips. his work is amazing with making some really beautiful grips.

3. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

I'm specifically looking at the G10 grips from hogue because I like the material. I've used other Hogue's in the past but I've never tried their g10s. I've already got two Chip McCormick mags and they cycle fine. I want to change the MSH because I prefer the arched versions over the flat.

4. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Now I just need to get more mags!!!

5. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

My Sig 938 came with the G10 grips and makes such a small 9 mm a dream to shoot, i would highly recommend them for your 1911.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have no experience with the Hogue G10 grips. I have used their rubber grip panels and they work great.
    I have a set of G10 grips from these guys:

https://vzgrips.com/

Huge selection, really well done products. I'd be shocked if you didn't like them. They build each set to order, so you have a lot of choices w/ all the possible options.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Thanks I'll check em out

8. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

I've had my Rock Compact-Tactical .45 for over a year now and it's my primary CCW. The standard ACT-Mags are NOT cheap and crappy magazines as some would have you believe! They are one of Europe's largest magazine makers and supply companies like Beretta, SIG and Walther. While magazine problems are the commonest source of trouble people have with any 1911, but one FTF is hardly a reasonable gripe with a new pistol! Rocks require 200-500 rounds and running wet to break-in properly and then the CS-Tac will eat almost any factory ammo you can name (with the possible exception of wad-cutters and SWC due to the angle of feed). Do know that the factory recoil spring is pretty short-lived and that while Wolff 22-lb units will work fine, their 24-lb springs will go into coil-bind; so if you wish to go to a stronger than standard spring, order them from Armscor. They will be Wolff springs, but won't cause problems for you. These things eat recoil springs far faster than larger 1911's so be prepared to change them every thousand rounds or so.
    While new grips are a must (I went with Harrison Design Carry-Groove G-10's), I wonder about why you would switch out the MSH. Unlike the units in their other guns, Armscor uses steel MSH's in their compact guns and while the arguments over polymer vs. steel are mostly matters of taste (I've seen a MSH made of ironwood that worked just fine), I have to surmise it's more a matter of wanting a more tractive surface than the vertical grooves in the stocker. I have yet to hear of a replacement that is a true drop-in so be prepared to do some metal work. The CS-Tac is a sweet shooting, reliable pistol that I have no trouble trusting with my life. I think you will be very happy with it.

9. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Thank you for the advice. The reason I am changing MSH is that I am used to Glocks and S&W revolvers so most handguns with 1911 grip angle (sig etc) hold low for me. So I'm switching it out to a arched MSH versus the stock flat one

10. southernborn

southernborn New Member

Wrong topic

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  11. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I just bought an RIA CS. Doesn't say anything about Tac on my box or gun, could someone tell me the diff? Have an Ed Brown safety on the way and looking at grips, will probably get CMC mags, use them in my big uns and like them. There seems to be about 4 versions and brands of this same pistol with different sights, triggers etc. in the stores right now. Mine has Novak style sights an adjustable trigger that favors the old STI, cut out hammer and a beavertail. Always said I would never own a chopped 1911 but my buddy let me shoot his and you know the rest.

12. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

With those Novak-style sights and skeletonized trigger, it is the Tactical series gun. The GI-series also have the beavertail and commander hammer but carry the little "thumbnail" sights, staked in front and narrow dovetail in the rear. Newer Tacticals also have plastic rather than wood grips from the factory. I've carried my CS-Tac .45 for a bit over a year and it's become my favorite handgun due to it's balance and reliability. It eats everything I've fed it and runs my favored Critical Defense JHP carry ammo just fine. I've done some modifications to it; some for comfort and convenience, some just to make it look snazzy (it's my pet 1911!) but it remains the gun I want in my hand if I need to save my life. I can't think of a higher recommendation.
    Here is what she looks like now:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  13. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Yep, that's it.

14. glock73

glock73 New Member

Does all the compact RIA have bull barrels ? And can you change the guide rod and recoil spring? Somebody told me you could not change then parts.

Glock73