New revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MyRawTalent, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MyRawTalent

MyRawTalent New Member

I'm looking for some opinions on what would be a great new revolver to get. I don't own one yet so what would be a good one to start with?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What do you plan to use it for, home defense, range, hunting, concealed carry?

3. MyRawTalent

MyRawTalent New Member

All the above

4. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

For home defense/ carry/ hunting you may go with a 357. In that same gun you can shoot 38 special for target or whatever else you want to use it for, just be sure to clean the cylinder when you clean your gun. My dad just bought a ruger lcr in 357 and he likes it, but its not for everyone since it's a light gun and strong caliber there are other guns made by ruger and s&w that are fantastic... It all depends on what size of a gun you can carry.

5. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

ruger gp 100 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel. built like a tank, very accurate, easy to reload for and priced right.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Agree with the posts above...a Ruger GP101 or a S&W 686 would be good solid choices as would some of the Taurus models. All are reliable for defense and rugged enough for field use You can step up to a .44 Magnum or a 454 Casull but that's a lot of gun for concealed carry although they would be better for hunting. In my opinion, the best middle of the road caliber would be .357 Magnum...everything is a compromise if hunting and concealment are top of the list of uses...some would argue they are, by design, mutually exclusive in that most hunting equipment is not meant to be concealed and most concealable handguns are not well suited for hunting. You also have to consider the downside of using a round capable of taking down a grizzly bear, massive overpenetration will be an issue and you own that bullet when you pull the trigger.

Another issue will be barrel length. With a large frame revolver, any barrel over 3 inches is going to pose a problem for concealment. Hunting pistols on the other hand benefit from the additional accuracy and muzzle energy of a longer barrel, a snub nose .357 is a fine self defense gun even if you are surprised by a bear while in the field but it is of little use for the longer range shots typical of hunting.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. mdauben

mdauben New Member

You do realize that choosing one revolver for all those roles is going to involve a lot of compromise? For hunting a heavy, long barreled gun in .44 magnum like the Ruger Redhawk would be my choice. Possibly with a scope sight. For home defense I'd probably pick a medium frame .357 such as the Ruger GP100 or S&W Model 696 with a 4 inch barrel. For concealed carry something like the Ruger LCR or S&W Model 642 loaded with .38 +P ammo. Finally, for target shooting I'd want something like the S&W 617 or maybe the Ruger SP101 in .22 LR.

If I had to pick one compromise I might choose a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with the 3 inch barrel. It's not as small or light as the .38 revolvers listed above or as easy to shoot with full power loads as the GP100 or 686 but its acceptable for CCW or HD. For target practice you can load it with .38 wadcutters (not as cheap as .22s but not too hard to deal with for extended shooting session). It's not really all that suitable for hunting unless you limit yourself to game the size of smaller deer at closer ranges but that's the nature of compromise, you can't do all things well.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is exactly the revolver I have but I think it would be very difficult to conceal carry this revolver. It's BIG.

9. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Not at all. I only cary OWB and my shirts are never tucked in so its completely covered unless I crouch down or something like that. I will give you that is to big for me to carry everyday. But sometimes I just have to. Im not a big fan of small frame pistols/revolver for carry. I know I can shoot better with my full size Gp100 than I can with my wifes Jframe. But she loves her Jframe and im very glad that she loves that gun because it has never been inside of my safe. She has that revolver with her at all times.

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Firgot to post my picture...

Attached Files:

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How much firearms experience do you have?

If little experience, then the .44 or .357 mags may be considered as something to get later.

If you have several years shooting a semi-auto, then transition would be easy and I would recommend a 4", stainless steel, .357 magnum, from a "known" company.

12. Colby

Colby New Member

You, Sir, are a lucky man! For her to take to a gun like that and have it with her...
    The J-frame probably fits her hand better than yours. I have one, too, and it is a good gun - for conceal. If it was not for conceal I would like larger - since my hands are larger. My bedside gun is an old S&W Model 14, 38 Special ex-police gun. Shoots very well.

You showed your GP100 but what caliber and what barrel length? And whose holster is that in your photo? And you say you do conceal with that??
    Questions ... because I am considering a move up into a larger caliber/power revolver. Probably 357. I have several 38's and some autoloaders up to 9mm. But I prefer revolvers. .... I may eventually even go to a large caliber like a 44 Mag - kind of for novelty - I can't see any real practical use for me with something like that. ... Unless you guys could point me the way ... Show me the error of my ways ...

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Four inch Gp100 .357 mag. I carry it every once in a while but Ive been carrying my wifes Glock 17 right now untill I get my 1911 and that will be my dedicated carry gun. The holster is a Galco phoenix holster, I believe thats the model of holster.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What length barrel on your GP100?

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Its the four inch model.

16. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

I had the same problem...trying to choose a good first revolver. I have a few semi autos and now that I have both, I think I prefer semi auto over revolver (to each their own). But, here goes my timeline.

First, I bought a used GP100 6”...love it, still have it. Then I tried for Single Ten, bought right when it first came out...found out I don't like single action. Then I thought of something for the wife for home defense, easy to use, no magazine to worry about. So I bought the LCR in 357, but load 38s for her.

So, my recommendation is to get the LCR in 357, using 38s for practice.

FYI - 357 is about $0.50 a round now...

Hope this helps.

17. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Where are you buying .357's for $.50 a round?

18. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

Walmart's selling Remington 100 rounds for $49.97.
    Cheaperthandirt.com has 50 rounds for about $20.00...about $0.40 a round.

Is there any place cheaper that you know of?

19. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

For a versatile gun, although kinda heavy, look into a Dan Wesson revolver. They have interchangeable barrels. I.E., you just unscrew a lug at the muzzle, slide off the shroud, unscrew the barrel (by hand), then screw in the barrel of your choice using a supplied feeler guage to set the cylinder gap, slide on the appropriate shroud and tighten the lug at the muzzle. They come with 2 1/2", 4", 6", 8", and 10" barrels. Heavy and pricey, but you can have a single gun to use for multiple purposes. I think the Dan Wesson stuff is owned by Kahr now, but you should be able to find 'em on the internet.

20. MyRawTalent

MyRawTalent New Member

Thank you this helped me out a lot.