new revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 17hmrpro2, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 17hmrpro2

17hmrpro2 New Member

My friends swear by the ruger 357 mags i want one but i dont know wat cal or make to get. As i said my friends swear by the ruger model gp 100 and the sr 101 i believe

2. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Love my GP100, shoots .38's or .357's

3. 17hmrpro2

17hmrpro2 New Member

Thts wat they tell me .38 for self defense .357 for hunting

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Pretty tough to find a down side to Ruger revolvers

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Most folks would say 38 spl for practice / trigger therapy, .357 for SD or hunting.

Many states have a 6 inch minimum barrel length for handgun hunting, check your local requlations to be sure what is legal.

6. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

The GP100 has been around for over 25 years and virtually unchanged so that must be a testament to something.

You can get one of the new .327 Magnum Federals which gives you one extra round but that's a pretty new caliber. As many have said the advantage of getting a .357 Magnum is that it has enduring popularity and you can also fire .38 specials.

The GP100 does not have the smoothest trigger out-of-the-box new but gets smoother as it breaks in. You can also get a trigger job. If you go to Youtube you can watch a well known internet firearms reviewer (hint: rhymes with "mutton nancy") who does a segment of the entire GP100 trigger job being done. A very interesting watch.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I love my Gp100, the only thing i didnt like about mine was the black front sight post. A little bright green paint and its way better. I carry mine pretty much only when im not at work because of the weight. But still a great gun, you cant go wrong with it.

Attached Files:

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Those GP100's are built like tanks. I still regret getting rid of mine. Usually I say the S&W revos are the way to go and I do like the Smith triggers a little more but those Rugers are very nice revolvers and I would buy another one any time and feel like it was money well spent.

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Both the GP100 and the SP101 are great guns and built like a tank. I have the SP101 and after a quick trigger job and a set of grips it is a awesome gun.

10. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

The GP100 is very solidly built, reliable and functional. It is also a pleasure to shoot. It has a very balanced feel to it. I have nothing but good to say about my GP100, which I have had for more than twenty years.

Attached Files:

11. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Out of all the different handguns I own if I could only pick one it would be my ruger gp 100 357 magnum. Built like a tank and for me it needs to be built that way because I fire nothing but reloads out of it.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Just because your friend swears by them doesn't necessarily mean a lot. There is more out there than just Ruger. You can do a lot better and you can do a lot worse. Ruger is a good middle of the road gun. I'd recommend hitting a few gun shows and getting your hands on as many different models as you can. You will have a lot more variety than just the GP100 and SP101.

13. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

For the price there is no way in hell you are going to do a lot better. Now on the other hand you can pay a lot more money and get a revolver that is a little better than a ruger gp 100. Plus its not just his friend that swears by them its a lot of people on this forum that swear by them.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

MIDDLE of the road :confused:
    I'd put S&W & Colt a step above but theres WAY more under than above :cool:

15. phildenton

phildenton New Member

My edc is a ruger police service six ... very reliable very durable, i would put Smith and Wesson as slightly better, for the trigger, but the ruger as a better value for the price.

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Agree to disagree. Ruger has a following just like any other manufacturer. Doesn't make it any better than the next.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking Ruger, because I'm really not. I have 4 Rugers myself, 3 pistols and a rifle. I think Ruger guns in general around about middle of the road, meaning they are good guns for a good price. You get a lot of gun for the money, but to me it seems like they tend to get overly hyped and it's usually by Ruger-lovers. I just haven't seen anything out of mine that would make me give them a recommendation over something. That's just been my experience.

And as far as this thread, there is MUCH more to the revolver world than GP100s and SP101s. I am just encouraging the OP to explore before using someone else's opinion to base the purchase on. I would hope people would do the same for me. I'm all about informed choices and it doesnt seem like the OP has been fully informed on other options.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

TOTALY understand all that- Just thought you should have placed Ruger a bit higher than just a "middle" of the pack shooter :)

19. Donn

Donn Active Member

I'm curious O. You don't say what might be a better choice. The double action revolver field is pretty slim these days. What would you suggest? And please don't say Taurus.

20. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Used astra are ok, thats what id put as middle road.