New revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by revthomas, Dec 20, 2014.

1. revthomas

revthomas New Member

I just inherited my grandfather's s&w model 10-7. I am wondering what kind of value this gun has? Never going to sell it, just wondering... also, what aftermarket grips do you suggest?

Attached Files:

2. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

as far as values? actual resale value in todays market, I'd say about 500-600 if you have the case, and the photos are accurate (looks like she's lived a well kept life). problem is, the current market, they aren't an ultra high demand item (which is a damn shame)

as far as grips? oooohhh... that's going to be a very personal choice. me? I'd be screaming pachmyer from the top of my lungs, but, that's only to get it to fit my hand better.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

3. revthomas

revthomas New Member

No case but the photos were taken about 10 minutes ago. It's probably only seen about 20 rounds down range. I've been in love with this gun since I was a kid. My grandfather passed in 1998, when I was 17. It will be cherished and passed down to my son!

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would leave it as is. If you haven't even shot the gun why consider changing the grips? Run a couple hundred rounds through it before you change anything.

5. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

yeah, she's a beaut. don't know why I said case. came in a dark blue thin cardboard box. but you always knew whatever was inside of that box was high quality.

(yeah...I love smith revolvers)

6. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

Nice gun. The grips are "classic" but practically non functional. I'd go with the grips that come on all S&W's - Hogue rubber. Or Pachmayr.

7. headhunter

headhunter Member

The biggest improvement in grips is anything that fills in the gap between the present grip and the trigger guard- even a grip adapter. I too love Smith revolvers, that said, with so much space my middle finger takes a pounding and shooting becomes less enjoyable.
    O have an old pair of Herritt wooden grips that work well.

8. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Beautiful gun. I wouldn't change anything, especially the grips. I love that style grip and find them very comfortable to shoot.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

What do you want to do w it ? HD - good to go. However, if you are looking to add it to range - there is a gunsmith was can add white outline rear sight and a red ramp front. This can be done as well. It cost approx $300.

It all depends on what you want to do ?

First thing I w change is the grip. Save the orig for posterity, if you don't like a hand filling Pachmyr, there are plenty of custom wood grips available.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  10. revthomas

revthomas New Member

I don't want to make any permanent changes to the gun. I was just thinking of changing the grips to make it more comfortable in the hand. Thanks for the comments, I am leaning towards the rubber hogue grips.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I would not do anything to the gun. It is a classic S&W snub nose. Being a snub it's Not what I call a range gun.
    If you were to use it for carry, then maybe change the grips, but if just home protection, I would do nothing.

I would invest in some new ammo.

Guns International has one for sale (Looks like in new condition) asking $595

Nice inheritance

12. DP03

DP03 New Member

I'm not sure what look you're after, but this Hogue grip that came on my Ruger Alaskan 44 mag is nothing short of amazing in taming the kick on a large caliber. I shot magnum rounds for an hour last week and was ready for more. And you can see in the pic this is a snub nose. Love this gun!!

Anyway, this grip comes in a variety of woods as well, I just don't know how that would affect it's recoil absorption.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  13. Donn

Donn Active Member

I'd leave it as-is, maybe add a Tyler T-Grip, a little more to hang on with but retaining the original look. Resale value? All I can say is what I've heard at my LGS. S&W made a ton of Model 10's. They're still in production. They'd probably offer $300-$350, Sell it for $400-$450. Since you say it's not for sale, I expect it's a moot point. If it were mine, it would be tucked in my waistband as I type.

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Nice pistol, If it were me I won't change the grips.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

+1 on the Hogue grip, it is totally at home on this gun.

16. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yup, don't know if you have this gun or not, but for the benefit of others....

The non textured area about the finger grips is a soft rubber that you can actually push in with your fingers from the back. This thing makes a 44 mag easier to shoot than most 357 mags I've owned for sure , including my GP100 that I sold to a friend. Ruger nailed it on the Alaskan. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Need to update my sig :)

17. revthomas

revthomas New Member

I putting the hogue grip on it and the difference is amazing!!!

18. revthomas

revthomas New Member

Here is a picture. Thanks for all of the input!!!

Attached Files:

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Brother, that is completely overkill for a mild mannered 38. Pachmyr has a grip that is designed for snub nose revolvers. It will fill your hand, dampen recoil and still maintain the original design of the pistol. (Compact)

I got this old model 60 from Police Chief - hits POA/POI w 110 gr. Winchester Silvertips. Much less recoil for double taps. Practice shoot two, load two or I keep mine w two speed loaders. Not sure why, most home shoots are extremely close quarters and under 3 rounds. I suppose it's a some leftover baggage from Army training - you can never have too much ammo...:D

Not to hijack thread but the trigger on this gun was never as smooth as my SW686. Both have had the competition spring job from Wilson combat and some "gentle" stoning but the little gun just isn't as smooth. Damn near perfect in single action though and amazingly accurate if I do my part.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  20. Geosully

Geosully New Member

I would leave it as is, and value it around $550 to $600 for insuring it, priceless as an heirloom.