New Revolver Owner

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Polygon, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I just bought my first revolver, a S&W M29 .44 Magnum. While I'm waiting for it to show up I was wondering what ammunition everyone would recommend for the range?

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Congrats on the new wheel gun! I haven't shot a 44mag in a bunch of years, it's a substantial caliber. You didn't mess around with your first. Don't know what to say about ammo except whatever is a good price for plinking/target, and better stuff for self defense.

3. losack

losack New Member

I have a 629 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Smooth as glass! Shoot .44 special mild loads for practice. Then always shoot a few .44 magnum light loads your hands will thank you.

You may also want to get a good quality defense load and get a feel for muzzle blast and recoil so if you use it for SD your not in shock by the blast (even though the firestorm is part of the fun!) yourself.

If you carry for cougar or bear heavy hunting loads. Believe me you won't worry about recoil or anything like that if the need arises to use your side arm!

Have fun, with proper grip and stance it's not a big deal.

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I load my own ammo and I use the Hornady 240-grain XTP. For factory ammo I bought some of the Winchester white box stuff in 240-grain and it worked just fine. Walmart has the best prices on it.

If you are not used to a .44 mag be prepared for some serious recoil. My Ruger Super Blackhawk kicks like a mule but it is fun to shoot.

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Hehe, yeah. I'm expecting an eye opening experience when I first shoot it. I have always wanted one and just decided to go for the gold, well, almost. Still want a 500 Magnum at some point too. My nephew wants to shoot it, but I'm very hesitant. I told him, it's up to your parents. I should let your dad shoot it first and see what he thinks. He argues that I've let him shoot my 1911 .45 and I laughed and told him you're not even in the same ball park.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I thought it was interesting that all I can seem to find are hollow points. Do they not make FMJ for revolvers?

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

This old 29-2, 4 inch .44 Mag has had 1,000s 0f rounds down the tube. I reload and cast my own bullets. 240 Kieth SWCs and Winchester 296 powder.:)

[​IMG]

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

FMJ are popular for automatics for easier feeding,not required in revolvers. Some indoor ranges use FMJ to reduce lead dust. Alot of revolver loads are lead. I would get at least one box of 44 spl's. Just to try.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Range use, .44 Special

PD/SD use, Buffalo Bore ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG. Pistol and Handgun Ammo

ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG.

Read the Overview.

9. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Ah, that makes sense. Still, it seems 99% of the rounds out there are hollow point.

Thanks for the suggestion!

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

Congrats P, my first revolver was a Model 29 I bought in 1978. I'd start out and practice with .44spl as others here have suggested. Recoil with magnum loads is considerable but manageable. In other words, you should get used to it. Personally, I've found it's easier to deal with standing. Seated using sandbags and bench rest, it wants to come back and hit you in the head.

11. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Thanks!

I ended up grabbing a couple of boxes of Winchester 230gr softs. They were $32 at Walmart. I won't be using it for SD or hunting. I think I'm going to grab some boxes of those .44 specials as well.