New revolver fo deer hunitng?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by DavidTurley, Mar 4, 2010.

1. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

Thinking of getting a new revolver for deer hunting looking at everything from 44 mag, to 500 s&w, any sugestions

2. Viking

Viking Active Member

Just my experience but I've hunted for thirty some years and over those years I've put more venison in the freezer with my Redhawk 7 1/2" barreled 44 mag. As I have gotten older and my eyes have changed and I'm thinking of scoping it. So in a way, to me, I would think a Super Redhawk would would be a great for deer hunting because it's already is set up for scope rings. All this being said, a long barreled .357 mag revolver would also be great for deer hunting. I just happen to like to carry a .44 mag due to frequently coming in contact with black bear.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

3. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Ever consider a Thomson Center Fire G2. Although not a revolver, it is more versatile. You can swap out barrels for hunting just about anything. Otherwise I would stick with the 44 revolver, just because rounds are easier to find for this. 500 is just overkill unless you plan on using it for bear hunting as well. I would personally take the 460 S&W over the 500, but again ammo will be harder to find than the 44.

4. Missileman

Missileman New Member

It's big and expensive, but the 460 seems to really be gaining the most appeal with the handgun hunting crowd lately. One advantage is you can shoot 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 460 S&W from the same revolver (maybe even a 45 Auto-rim too, but not sure about that one). I have a .41 mag blackhawk that's worked great for years, but wouldn't mind getting a 460!

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Good point on the 460-454-45Colt.
    Never thought about the Auto rim.... what about 45Auto in moon clips?
    Would they work for cheap practice?????

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Everyone seems to be biggggg bore and recoil happy for the poor little deer. All you need is a properly loaded .357 mag, or a .41 or .44 mag. Lots of field practice to be able to place that all important shot in the right place. If you have never hunted with a handgun and don't intend to practice to become proficient with it, stay with your rifle.

Jim....................

7. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I wasn't aware there was a 45 auto rim. Just looked it up. Thought there was only a 45colt and 45ACP for hand guns. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tid bit.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe the .45 ACP with moon clips or the .45 Auto Rim will have too much thickness at the "rim" to work in a .45 Colt + revolver.

The 500 is way too much gun for deer unless they are 400# rabid zombie carnivore deer with razor sharp antlers.

.44 mag Super Blackhawk, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Smith 29/629 are plenty

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I've had great luck with my .41mags but they are a reloading option unless you can locate the hard to find ammo. If you're thinking about getting into handgun hunting you'll most likely want to get into reloading anyway due to needing to practice a lot to get proficient. I'd recommend a .44magnum if you're not going to reload or just want handily available ammo. You don't need over a .44 magnum. I'd also recommend you get a 2x pistol scope for it as that will greatly enhance your marksmanship capabilities.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I had a red dot on my Super Blackhawk and I was real accurate of the bench out to 50 yards using 185 Hornady XTPs. I eventually found out I'd should of been using a 240 ga projectiles and keep my shots under 30 yards. Hit a nice doe one afternoon at about 45 yards and did not find her until the next morning long after the coyotes got to her. Apparently I didn't get enough penetration and I lost the blood trail in the dark.

I now hunt with an Encore pistol in .308.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  11. Viking

Viking Active Member

I think the furthest out that I have shot a deer is 50 yards but I'd say the average has been about 75 yards because of the way I hunt. I look for trails and sit down wind behind some small trees and at times I have stalked deer as quietly as possible which amazed me one time when I walked to within ten feet of a deer before it took off. Many times they are curious and as long as they don't smell you they don't bolt. The best time that I've found stalking to work is on foggy days, maybe it's because the moisture softens up the dry leaves. MasterPsmith makes a great point, the really high power above a 44 mag is pretty much overkill, that's why I mentioned 357 mag. If all you intend to do with a handgun is hunt deer then what gadrooning mentioned about using a Thompson Center Fire is a great idea, I have a friend that has one with a rifle caliber barrel (don't remember what he told me the cal. was), he claims it is the most accurate hand gun he has shot. So a lot depends on what else you may want to use a handgun for, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to go to gun shops and see how some of the hand guns mentioned here feel in your hands. Even better if you are able to shoot some of them. One thing to take into consideration is that the more power a gun has the more likely you are to flinch from blast and recoil unless you practice, practice, practice and any of the really big stuff above 44 mag can get very spendy, even a 44 mag can be spendy unless you handload hand cast bullets which is what I have done for years.

12. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

The 357 mag is a good gun for deer hunting. I personally use mine for hunting. My 357 has a 8 3/8" barrel so the round is still easily traveling over a 1000fps @100 yards and has a little over 400lbs of energy @100yrds. And at a 100 yards it's iffy. I try to keep my shots within 50yrds. Pleanty of TKO especially combined with an ammo like Buffalo Bore. This would be the minimal caliber for deer hunting and the most pleasurable to shoot. Anything in between the 357 and the 44 mag are good for hunting as well. However as stated before, rounds are hard to come by in this range unless you reload. I personally would stick with the 44 mag just for the little extra punch. As stated before also anything above this would be overkill, unless you plan on hunting bigger critters with the gun as well. What ever you pick good luck.

13. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have found that 300 and 305 grain hard cast work best in a 44 Magnum. At least for pigs anyway. Bone breaking is essential for a clean kill.

14. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I personally dont see a need to go above .44 mag for deer. After that your just wasting money on ammo... Ive taken a total of 4 white tails and 2 mules with my Redhawk and all but 1 tough mule only need one well placed shot. Ive also taken quite a few boars with my redhawk and my gp100.

15. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Get a .44 Mag. The sheer variety of available ammo, everything from cowboy loads to bone-crushing solids, means you can use it for just about anything. The 240gr JSP or hardcast 250gr SWC work fine for deer. Your effective range will be the distance you can put every shot in a 4 or 5 inch circle up to 100 yards.
    Personally, I'd look for a Dan Wesson.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I say go with a 44, it will be plenty for deer. I was planning to use my 357 for pistol hunting this year until I found a sweet 629 a while back. Now I get to spend plenty of time at the range to familiar with it.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A first step- take a look at the game laws in the area you plan to hunt, and see what is a legal firearm there. While I use a 10" 357 for Eastern Deer, the .357 is too light to be legal in some Western States.

.44 Mag should be MORE than adequate with (a) right bullet, and (b) enough barrel to actually burn most of the powder. I handgun hunt in laurel thickets, where 50 yards is a LOONG shot, and a .357 solid in the boiler room equals venison for dinner.

Yes, the .460, the .500, and the .499 Chipmunk Eviscerator are all impressive rounds, You will not practice with them a lot due to pain and "Oh CRAP? HOW MUCH A BOX?"

18. arp1

arp1 New Member

I have both a .44 Redhawk and a 460 S&W. I have taken deer with both . I use a Barnes 225 in the 44 and a Barnes 275 in the 460. The 460 is a hunters dream.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got a Super Redhawk that works great for deer A 357 would work around here (Ky) but I like the 44 a little more. Mine has the 9.5 bbl. It's dang near a rifle anyway:D

20. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

DJ, do you take a gun bearer along on your hunts? now that's a lot of pistola.