New revolver, but which one?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Cshooter, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Cshooter

Cshooter Member

So I have decided I need a revolver in my collection. Im thinking about the Taurus 905 9mm, since I already have an XD9 I wouldnt have another caliber to buy. Also there is a slim chance I would use this for a ccw, and the 905 is small enough for that. I have shot a J frame in 38sp, it was a really nice gun. I have shot a .357 snubby, but I really wasnt crazy about that caliber in such a small gun. Then the other day I shot a 686 .357, and loved it. So now I am torn between wheel guns. If you were in my situation, what would you do?

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Personally, I'd go with the 686, or the j frame 38 special.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Yeah, the 357 is gonna have more power. I think staying with 9mm would be less costly.
    I vote 9mm revolver.

4. kycol

kycol New Member

I vote 9 mm, I'm thinking of getting one too

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Your first revolver should be a .357. Add a 9mm later. I would highly recommend a S&W Model 19 or 66. You're not going to want to shoot hot .357s all day, but for defense loads it's leaps above a 9mm. Shoot .38s for fun.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

From the ones you mentioned i'd grab the S&W 686 without a second thought :cool:

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I'm not 100% sure on the 9mm revolvers but I know the .45 acp and .40 S&W revolvers require you to use moon clips and they are far more of a pain than they are worth in my opinion.

I would go with the .357 magnum. I have a Taurus Ultralite .357 snubby and I agree with you that a .357 is a lot of power for such a small gun so I mostly shoot .38's out of it but it's nice to know you have that added power available if need be. A lot of people will say a .38 Special isn't powerful enough but my answer is the .38 was the main gun used for all law enforcement for about 100 years and it worked just fine. I also have a Ruger GP100 in stainless with a 4" barrel which is my favorite handgun I own. I have said many times that if I had to give up all my guns but one I would keep the GP100. It is just a good all around, multi purpose gun to me.

As far as which .357 is the best, you've opened up a big "Ford vs Chevy" battle here. There is no one "Best Revolver" out there. My personal opinion is Ruger is the best revolver. All one piece, solid steal and tough as nails but that is my opinion. Others will say S&W, Colt, Charter Arms, Taurus and many others. I am also a big fan of Taurus. A lot of gun for little money. But again, that is my opinion. Try to shoot as many revolvers as you can and choose based on your experience.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What's the intended use?
    Is it for CC or simply just range use?
    The Taurus 905 & S&W J-frames? I bought a small Taurus once. I wish I'd simply spent the extra $80-$100 on a S&W. The Taurus works, but it's just not the same. It's like the difference between Craftsman tools and the one's you get from Harbor Freight. Sure, the cheap stuff works most of the time, but there is something that's just not the same.
    There's more to life than cheap ammo. Besides, .38 special isn't that expensive.
    If it's for range use, get the 686.

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I vote S&W 686 for the range, maybe a Ruger SP101 for carry.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

GET THE 357!

I don't see any significant benefit of getting a revolver chambered for a semi-auto round. Besides, the 357 is the most flexible chambering of practically any handgun. A 686 with a 4" barrel would be perfect.

11. Cshooter

Cshooter Member

Well the main reason I was looking at the taurus in 9mm is because I have 2 other pistols that shoot 9mm so I wouldnt have to buy another caliber, plus when I start reloading I will be reloading for all of the guns. However, even though I like the 686, im leaning towards something a bit smaller for carry in the future. The gun probably wont see as much range time as the others, until I get close to the time when I start carrying.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Having two 9mm is a great reason to get a 357 -

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Winds,
    They do take the same rounds, normally used with moon clips.

Jim..........

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Look for a vintage S&W. There is something about a vintage Smith wheel gun in the K/L or N frame that sends quivers up my spine. Like a vintage M1911A1, the history seems to morph from the ageless stocks and provide the shooter with a glimpse of brilliance from the giants who's shoulders we walk on. (Elmer Keith, Jack Weaver, Col. Charles "Boots" Askins, Thell Reed, Jerry Miculek to name a few.)

[​IMG]

My M19-3 (circa 1970)

And/or

[​IMG]

My M29-2 (circa 1980)

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you. I just deleted my original post for containing incorrect information but I will leave it quoted here as you have corrected me. And thank you for correcting me. I was comparing it to what I know about the .380 and the .38. So, I learned something new again today.

16. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ruger gp100 4.2in barrel .357mag.

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

How 'bout A Medusa??? You can shoot the .38's, .357's, and the 9mm!! :D

18. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

What's your budget

19. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Love my ruger gp 100 in 357 mag. I normally shoot 38 specials but I like the fact that when I feel like it I can shoot a more powerful round. Reloading the 38 special round and the 357 round is also very easy.

20. Cshooter

Cshooter Member

Well I took my wife to the range, and she shot a friends 638 J frame. She really likes the gun, and wants one for when she is home alone( I work 3rd shift). Is the 638 a good J frame to get, or is there a better one? Or possibly an LCR?