New Rem 870 Mag Tube Cleaning.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by tCan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

I've got the latest iteration of the Remington 870 Express and for the life of me I can't figure out how to pop out the end piece that holds the follower and spring in the mag tube. I've tried using a screw driver to lever it out, but I don't want to pry on it too hard as it's just plastic. And pointers? The manual offers nothing technique-wise.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if i remember mine from years ago, when i took mine apart to remove the plug, the end of the mag tube is dimpled a little to hold the spring and follower in place. this is on the muzzle end. pull the barrel nut off the mag tube and look and see if there is a dimple in the end of it. remove the dimple and the spring cap, spring and follower should come out. watch out for the spring and parts, because they will try to fly out!

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Push down plastic and rotate and then it will come out. It should not be hard to push down or turn. Download an owner's manual and it tells you.

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Yes, like the above information says, just take off the mag tube cap and with a little twist(may take more) and the spring cap and spring will pop out. If they don't, just point at a towel/sofa or something to help catch, and tap sharply with your open hand the mag tube, and all pieces will come flying out, then you can add the tube plug. I just did this with my 870 for this Fall Turkey Season to keep gun legal for those nosey Rangers who like to surprise you with an inspection.
    Del

5. tCan

tCan Active Member