New Reloading Program

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by schwefel, Dec 16, 2010.

1. schwefel

schwefel New Member

For no other reason that I think it would be a good challenge, I am endevoring to write a reloading program.

What is the boards thoughts on what it should do? I am working through the database schema right now, so it is still pretty much a blank slate.

While I do not want influence (I am looking for any/all suggestions) a couple things that I will be doing:

1. All pre-loaded data (of whatever type) will be locked an uneditable. If a change to that data is detected, the program will cease to funtion.

2. Images and/or technical drawings for everything. (Not just the brass, but bullets, etc). Note: Everything will be capable of having an image, though there may not be an actual image of that particular item.

3. Printing labels for loaded rounds.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

are you looking to compile existing load data?? or make a dynamic program??

most of the bullet makers and powder makers provide free load programs.

3. schwefel

schwefel New Member

I am not sure what you mean by dynamic?

Here is the gist of it:

Relevant bullet, cartidge, powder, load, etc info will be preloaded. There will also be the ability to add your own. Preloaded data is will be protected and not editable.

Loadings will be trackable and performace will in your guns will be trackable. Basic external balistics calculations will also be included.

Basic inventory control, technical drawings, MSDS, etc as well

Again, I still fleshing out the design and interested in feedback from the community.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

5. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Do some hardware development and build an interface to a CNC reloader. THAT would be frick'en sweet! Beer while I watch the reloader? Sure!

6. schwefel

schwefel New Member

QuickLoad looks interesting. Seems to be much more focused on the balistics side of things that what I am working on. (Installing the demo right now.)

I am more or less doing an electronic reloading manual and log book that has very basic external balistics functionality.

If I were to try to commercialize this, $150 would be a lot more than I think it should sell for, too.

Thanks for the link Tango.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

dynamic means the answer changers as you enter data. as in x + y = z change x or y and z auto updtes on the fly.

but as noted above there is already a proggie that does what your doing.

i have a notebook that i keep specific load data for specific guns handy.

8. schwefel

schwefel New Member

There are lots of off the shelf interfaces out there. Hell, I bought a cheap ($75?), but capable PLC that could be used. Not sure if it has enough inputs/outputs off the top of my head, though.

The hardest part would be the actuator for the ram. It takes a fair amount of force. Not impossible, mind you but that would be the most difficult part. Other than that, a handful of limit/micro switches, some wire and some custom brackets mated with a Lee Load-Master and auto bullet feeder and it is all very doable.

To take it step further, hook it up to an electronic scale (hooked to the computer) to do automated QC on the loaded cartridges.

Would be a great way to turn out pistol ammo at home.

9. schwefel

schwefel New Member

In that respect, yes.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i havent come across a ballistic proggy or ballistic chart accurate enough to replace trial and error by physically going out shooting and measuring bullet drop at known ranges.

11. schwefel

schwefel New Member

You are correct. There are just way too many varibables that will affect the ballistic performance of any projectile.

The charts/programs are useful for giving one an idea of the what the performance will be like and approximate the bullet drop and such. If empirical evidence diverges significantly from the ideal, then you know something is amiss and can take steps to correct.

12. fixxer

fixxer New Member

That would be the easy part for me. I'd cheat and look at a pneumatic press. That and and a solenoid valve on a pilot relay to a digital output on the PLC would be a quick fix. The rest of the stuff would be the hard part for me. I despise software.

13. schwefel

schwefel New Member

Love ladder logic. :)

Frankly, I think hydraulic would be a better choice. The amount of force required would mean a very large and/or very long piston. Not only that, the amount of air needed would be huge. (No actual calcs, just off the cuff.)

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wGVRGbQrU]YouTube - Ponsness Warrens Autodrive running a Dillon Super 1050, with a bullet feeder[/ame]