Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, a lot of shots. I dunno, I've seen articles over the years on these long shot records. I don't want to "be that guy", but honestly, it's like the proverbial 1000 monkeys with typewriters thing. If you sit out there and shoot at it long enough, odds are you'll make a hit eventually. Yeah, you need a cartridge/bullet that'll make it that far and a rifle that'll shoot it that far, but realistically luck has a lot to do with it. If you want to impress me, do it in the first 3-5 shots.

I'm more interested in rifles and cartridge combinations that can make cold bore hits at XXXX distance. Those have a lot more "use."

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
If they would've backed it up with target hits with shot's 70 & 71, then I'd be impressed.
Shooting ELR has so many different variables to calculate in order to get close to the target. If you've ever watched any of the King of 2 miles competition's, most of the shooter's don't make it passed the 1st or 2nd stage of the competition.

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
I am with Tx,

I would have been impressed with 70 - 75 if at least one would have hit the Orange Target. Which, I would have thought they would have had the Dope and at least hit close on the White Target Paper with a couple of more shots within a reasonable time and same conditions, I realize doing some long-range shooting myself, but of course, nothing like that long range distance. And it took 69 shots to hit the Orange Circle. So, I hate to say it, but probably a stroke of luck!
For me, it was a max on 1400 yards and with all the variances affecting each shot. I certainly did not hit the 48in.Tall x 24in. Wide Target every time. There were variables at 1000, but the extra 400 yards made a significant difference.
And I was shooting a Remington 40X in 308 Cal, w Leupold M-1/ 3.5 x10x 50 Long Range Scope.
It would have been easier with my 338 Lapua Magnum Rifle or 7mm Remington Magnum?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts