New Python is out!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Jan 1, 2020.

1. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

My LGS is selling them 1500.00 OTD. And the new Ruger 57 for 630.00 OTD.

bluez and Rifling82 like this.
  2. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe i got the wrong end of the stick if so apologies. I took it as being smart as in you can not get them in the UK, i am always open to genuine input/advice. PS I will delete the posts.

towboater and bluez like this.

3. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Another Cobra in modern no-scratch black coating. This drives me nuts.

manta and Rifling82 like this.
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Wow this thread has had some energy! :D

manta likes this.
  5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I see you're in a happy mood today. [​IMG]

Hey Smith & Wesson, notice that nice new shiny Colt doesn't have a lock on it?

That's about every tenth post at The S&W Forum when this new Python is being discussed. I won't buy one, my two pinned and recessed Model 66s and my GP100 fulfill my stainless 357 needs, but I think Colt is on the right track with these. Face it they don't make much on this planet the same way they did in 1972.

A three inch blued Python might have me going to the bank.

Mercator, Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just watched Hickok45’s video on the new Python, towards the end of the video he has some problems with the Cylinder not turning

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  7. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

That is two reviews at least with same problem. Poor, very poor start for Colt. They need to recall all of them and do it now. Why would anyone pay $1500 for a gun with that kind of basic quality problem in any revolver?

SRK97 and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Rifling82

This is why I don’t buy a newly released gun right away... just like the Sig 365, gotta wait till all the bugs are worked out

9. Rifling82

I haven’t looked it up but I know they’ve never had a hammer mounted firing pin... Have they always had the transfer bar?

towboater likes this.
  10. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

$1,500 revolvers should not be released to the public without lots and lots of testing.

Bigcountry02, primer1, bluez and 3 others like this.
  12. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

You can have a new S&W with no lock at a premium price. Funny how that works.
    I think CA and MA require the lock or manual safety.

towboater likes this.
  13. PeeJay1313

Agreed!!

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. PeeJay1313

Four figure firearm should have a clear detail to why its worth 4 figures..

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

OH!!! But it's a COLT! They think they can still live off their past name/quality. Guy's will buy them as fast as they can,even if they are a complete turd of a firearm.
    I gave up on the Colt brand 30 years ago,and have never looked back!

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Obviously I want them to be successful.
    There should be 0 incidents like this.

I am not making excuses for them I dont own a Colt and I am not a Colt fnaboy..but I thnk this effort to re issue the Python is a wonderful thing.. Their reissue of the Cobra and King Cobra was wildly successful.

Obviously these guns have a (lifetime?) warranty and i know Colt will take 'em back and make 'em run right.

My Smith and Wesson M&P 9 also a well known and liked pistol had extractor issues.
    And not just in the early batches but for the entire run of Gen 1.
    I one a late gen 1 where Smith was willing to take the gun back.. but I told them i dont want to hassle with sending back the entire gun.... and they send me the upgraded extractor.
    despite this issue with the entire few first years or prodution the M&P9 enjoys a good reputation.

So I will not demonize Colt for the first batch issues that I am sure are limited to a small number.... I know the internet has this trend of going to extremes... every product is either God's gift or "junk".. we have not gotten to either stage on the Colt yet but lets lean back and see before we pass judgement...

Also whatever the issue is... maybe a pawl slightly too small or whatever... I am sure it is fixed before the first batches go abroad... because there warranty service is so much more difficult.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  17. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Another Hickock video on it:

18. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

ZOMBIES? Nope..........I'd rather watch reruns of "Gunsmoke". 'Ol Chester sorta walked like a zombie. :)

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  19. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

It's interesting that you bring up that "point". There seems to be a few around here who think every post that's put up, is a process of "baiting" to get a reaction,
    We have received an open post directing that it's OK to "argue the point, not the man."
    That's fine with me, but I have to agree as from what I've seen also. Some, seem to be coddled for baiting and name calling, While others get "tagged", even for things being done off-site. :mad: Helluvaway to do things.

Oldoutlaw, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  20. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sure they will sort the issues cylinder not turning is bad. After watching the reviews so far, for now i think i will stick to the Smith and Wesson 686.

towboater likes this.