New Python is out!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’m gonna try like hell to own one. Nothing would suit me more, than to trade in the talo 686+ for a new and improved Python.

bluez likes this.
  2. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay that for a transfer bar action from Colt or anyone else.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

4. XtremeTraveler

XtremeTraveler Member

Yes I saw that same video just now. I was going to post it here but I see you have. I've got to get myself the new Python once I can afford it.

Rifling82 and bluez like this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Fist negative review that I seen on the new Python.. but its very negative:

7. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

Finally made up to my favorite gun shop last night. They can’t keep pythons on the shelf at 1499$... I was pretty disappointed because this shop always has the best prices and I was expecting it to be under 1200$. I understand it’s new but they said they doubt they’ll ever be able to sell them for less than 1450$. Are these really twice the gun as a gp100 or 686? Are they 700$ more accurate or better built? I’ve been super excited about getting one but that price kinda killed it for me....

bluez likes this.
  8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe I’m wrong but Colts always done a good job of releasing guns in limited numbers almost like they enjoy not putting a bunch of supply out there so they can drive the price up.... I don’t agree with it, especially since they struggle as a company

OLD Ron likes this.
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I know a lot of ppl said "street price" will be only 1200.. i never belived it at least not in the first couple of years.
    A brand new GP100 goes for 650 bucks... and they are know accurate and reliable and strong gun.. But.... even as a GP100 fan i am toying with the idea of owning one.. The New King Cobra Target (4 inch barrel) have been very well received and they are 990 MSRP (I think) and street price 900..
    Colt makes a lot of claims about it (and they WOULD do that) and 1500 MSRP should make the budget for a high quality firearm.. But for 1500 You can buy a Daniel Defense AR15 (for those who dont know that a very high end AR).
    Also S&W has come nice performance center 686 in the 800 USD range I think.

So there are ways for a high end revolver for a lot less than the Python..
    And its still a mechanical product made by men so perfection is not attainable ..

10. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Good question. Email Colt and inquire. Might be interesting.

kfox75, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  11. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

when did the 2nd gen python stop being offered?

gen 1 = pre 81 happy factory union

gen 2 = post 81 mad striking union

gen 3 = new python made by 18 year old tech using cnc computer program.....to be determined

12. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Not good.

13. Oldoutlaw

For Pete sake manta, then why did you even bring up the question?? Or are you just trolling with dumb questions?

"manta said:
    Looks nice, i wonder will any make their way over here."

SGWGunsmith, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  14. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

I guess being attracted to high end shotguns has lessoned the sticker shock on pythons. to me, 3 grand is normal for a shotgun.
    issue is, most people that own pistols try to get as much bang on a cheap buck as they can, then stick to it (good or bad) until it breaks. then they blame the maker.
    every pistol ive owned was expensive because what was required of it demanded perfection.
    python use to fit that group of owners.
    if all you do is drill air on a weekend, sure a python may not be your cup of tea. but if clover leafs at 25 yds is needed...while shooting double action, well there ya go.
    python offered the best bar none double action trigger made.
    the drawback was, you couldn't have both. either you had a soft 3 pound SA let off and a stiff DA, or you had a stiff cocking heavy let off for SA, and a heavenly DA. most people bought the python for DA.
    most bulleye shooters I knew (like me) didn't mind cocking every shot, so we preferred a s&w's famous N FRAME SA trigger job with a TT/TH/TG....all for 1/3 the cost of a python.
    food for thought.

15. Rifling82

Manta,
    How is that trolling?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    OLD Ron and manta like this.
  16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Just read dealer posting that their wholesale price is so close to MSRP that they feel even if they charge 100% MSRP they are making almost nothing.... less money per gun than on a "normal" pistol even if its a lot cheaper.. He suspects many dealers will feel they are forced to mark up over MSRP for a long time until wholesale comes down.

17. Rifling82

colts production will never catch up to demand, which means more $$$,they like it that way

OLD Ron likes this.
  18. Oldoutlaw

Did I not suggest you email Colt? So go stuff your arrogant and trolling responses to my suggestion of that.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Give you an honest answer to your question and see how you are. You must be a very lonely person.

OLD Ron likes this.
  20. Rifling82

I asked why Kalashnikov USA didn’t build an AK-47. Someone responded “email them and find out”..... wasn’t that big of deal, I didn’t get mad

SGWGunsmith likes this.