New Python is out!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Just so we understand and qualify your advice. Do you have extensive experience with collectible guns and successes determining future collectability?

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  2. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

"The first reviews were done by professional and semi professional reviewrs.."

It would be interesting to see who those professionals were. I wouldn't expect that Colt would announce, "Hey, we've built a new version of the Python, but it might be a piece of crap. But, we'll know for sure after some of the whores involved with the "slick page" magazines are sent a free, specially built and assembled Python to test for us. You can believe those experts as they are professionals".

I don't follow ".22 Trickster", or "Hiccup .44½" with any reviews they do, only because they have enough posts on You-Tube they most likely get paid.
    I do put some faith in "Gun Tests" because they go out and buy test guns over the counter like most folks do and have regular normal shooters testing for them.

BVAL, kfox75 and OLD Ron like this.

3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Professionals..... :rolleyes:

SGWGunsmith, Mercator and OLD Ron like this.
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sigh... no just someone who is a student of human nature..
    If you own Gen 1 Pythons as investment you are welcome to hold on to them.

Who knows.. maybe the new ones will turn out to have some hidden flaws..

Mercator likes this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sheesh guys!
    Thats exactly what I meant ..

6. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I never invest in guns or collect them .
    I accumulate guns & shoot them .
    A road test of anything by someone else only tells me what they like or don't like . I do my own tests . I am not a expert but I do know what I like .

7. rock185

rock185 Active Member

I've shot Pythons, but always considered myself a S&W guy. The original Pythons are certainly beautiful revolvers. But the stacking trigger pull, and reputation for the lockwork to be more delicate and complicated than S&Ws, caused me to remain a S&W guy. That being said, if Colt can actually deliver these new Pythons in reasonable quantity, and any early flaws that might rear their ugly heads are correctable, Colt will have a winner here. Certainly not the same as the old Pythons, but they will likely turn out to be good revolvers in their own right. We'll probably know soon enough, since new guns are reportedly in the hands of some NON-YouTube-celebrity owners already. As to prices of the original Pythons, I would expect prices of shooter grade examples to moderate. I'd guess that the LNIB, and and lower production, 3" etc., original Pythons will continue to be expensive, and that a smaller and smaller subset of aging collectors will pay the price for them. I admit my crystal ball has suffered a few chips over the years, so my prognostication could be a little off;)

Oldoutlaw, kfox75, towboater and 3 others like this.
  8. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Who is Rick Grimes?

austin92 and Mercator like this.
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A fictional charcter.
    A Sheriff who finds himself in the Zombi Apocalypse (and its aftermath) battling first Zombies and then ever more human foes for the few resources remaining.

He undergoes a slow transition from "good ole boy" to hard as nails operator that does things routinely that in the beginning he would have considered unethical..

The series "The Walking Dead" is very popular.. though its popularity was greatest in the 1st and 2nd season..

Starting in the 3rd and ever more in the 4th season some SJW non sense showed up like children and pretty young girls morphing into the dominant warriers etc etc... Human behaviorists were involved in season 1+2 but not from later on as the series founder also left.
    this is all a simplification by yours truly though...

All in all still an incredible series..despite it occasional flaws in later seasons.

It took the left years to figure out that TWD is really anathema to the lefts's thinking.. what with firearms being centerstage... survival... everyone must carry their weight.. resources limited etc etc.

Episode 1 of season 1 is some of the best TV ever.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    AndyRexia and schnuffleupagus like this.
  10. rock185

rock185 Active Member

bluez, I think you're right about the direction TWD is taking. And that little girl running around with a nickle 6" Python, that she can obviously barely hold up. Even more so with the spin-off, FEAR TWD. They started out on FTWD as California Liberals, and as the show progressed seem to have become full blown SJWs/social workers hell bent on "helping" others whether those others want to be helped or not.

towboater and bluez like this.
  11. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Ah, Walking Dead. I have to admit, ive never watched an episode.
    Zombies, robots and monsters are cheap stand ins, things that can be killed without remorse or repercussion. Killing that can be done free of consequences.
    Poor writing by weak writers.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’m not much of a sci-fi guy either

towboater likes this.
  13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Fellas its worth a look..
    A lot of thinking has gone into it and the soundtrack is breathtaking..

kfox75 likes this.
  14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

First season was good. . Then I grew tired of it.

15. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

The reference I made was to Rick Grimes (a cop) carrying a 6" Colt Python as his duty weapon.

The Price of Pythons went up considerably due to the popularity of the TV show,,,
    Every TWD fan out there wanted to have the same gun as he.

And don't sat that TV shows don't influence gun owners,,,
    Who would have wanted a Mare's Leg if Josh Randall wouldn't have carried one.

Aarond

Oldoutlaw and bluez like this.
  16. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I hope not. I sincerely believe Colt has a good strategy going with the new snakes. They don't need to be "better" guns than the old ones. They just need to be "better" than their contemporary competition, meaning Ruger and S&W (maybe prettier is a more suitable word than better?) and they will capture a market percentage. Just like they did in the last century where basically they came up with a prettier, more slick .357 than the Model 27 which at the time was considered a big honking, overbuilt, cumbersome gun by most but has since acquired an almost cult like following.

Anyway "better" is way too subjective, specially when it comes to collectibles, art, guns etc. And collectability has nothing to do with quality or even usefulness. There are folks that pay big money for guns that are easily surpassed in performance by new ones. Your average off the shelf Glock is by all measures a BETTER tool than any first gen Colt SAA. But show me anyone foolish enough to shell out $5,000 for one.

I dint mean to embarrass you or call you out with my previous question. I just want to understand where your rather strong and assertive statement about the collectability or pricing on the old guns came from. Thought I might be missing something. But nope, your statements, while I'm sure are a good reflection of what you think is coming, are not backed up by history and facts, not just on this gun but on all collectible guns that have been re-introduced.

And if Colt ever comes around to making a Python that looks, feels and shoots like mine for $1500? I'll buy a dozen of them... Oh, the grips are real elephant Ivory (pre-ban) and by themselves they are worth 4 times or more what I paid for them. So yep, I'll hang on to it, not for investment purposes but as an heirloom for my very lucky son who will be inheriting it someday. IMG_1932.jpeg

BVAL, kfox75, towboater and 2 others like this.
  17. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Maybe, but the target audience just got a lot smaller. Most guys will opt for a &1000-$1500 gun they can shoot, rather than a $3000+ safe queen.

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not quite. I passed up two of them, one of which was my grandfather's sidearm while on the NYSP. And my wife and I watch it every week, I have followed the comics since the first issue came out, own the first 9 seasons and first 4 of FTWD, as well as having all of the novels released, including the new one that came out in October.

It has nothing to do with the show, or the caliber, or even the make, as I own other .357s, and other Colts, but has everything to do with not needing a ouija board to be able to find someone who knows how to work on the old ones, as the smiths that can, and do it right, are getting harder to find every day. My DEs, my DW, my GP100, and my S&Ws OTOH, I can take to any smith in town, and they will have experience working on them, or I can self repair them as well, for certain jobs.

Trooper Ward's Python went to his youngest son in Nebraska, who didn't own a .357 at the time, where his older brotyher, and eldest grandchild, felt it belonged. After all, If I kept it, odds are, it would never get shot.

Um, who's Josh Randall? Seriously, i have never heard of him.

Aaron, I not even going to attempt to try to come up with an argument on this one, as there are firearms, knives, and other weapons I own, because seeing them on the screen is what got me interested enough to look for one, even just to check it out, and determine it sucks, and pass on it. Hell, I own a push dagger after seeing one in the original Total Recall, the knife from Terminator 2, because I happened across one at a local shop, and was gifted a copy of the Night Slasher's knife from Cobra, by a friend who saw one of the signed posters in my collection, while I was unpacking at the current house. Hell, I always loved Cap and Ball revolvers, and rabbit ear doubles, due to watching westerns growing up, and have a couple as well. Same with lever guns, one of which being my great grandfather's Winchester 1886, given to him by a traveling hunter, to pay for the repair he did on the guy's car, when WWII was in full swing.

that's part of the reason companies pay to get their products into a movie or series, be it food, drink, knives, guns, survival gear, vehicles, or clothing. Some new car makers will even "rent" several cars to the production company (Vanishing Point 1971, all 5 1970 Challengers, 4 440 4 speed, 1 383 auto, were loaned to production, because they knew it would get customers to the lots.), and write them off, same with car modification shows with brand new cars, and destroy them after filming is done.

Now, in the comics for TWD, Rick had no signature weapon, so the Python is TV show exclusive. As Colt would have nothing to do with getting an out of production model on the air, blame Darrabont and Hurd for that one. Does it work? As a viewer, I can say that yes, that 6 inch nickle Colt does it's job, and catches the viewer's eye. Will it make me want to check one out, if I see it at my LGS? Not really.

At that point, it would be about getting my hands on it, and seeing if it measures up to the $1,500 hype, or a good used GP100 and 686, with cash left over for ammo and a range trip. And at that point, I'd buy the 686 and GP100 instead.

bluez likes this.
  19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Oldoutlaw and kfox75 like this.
  20. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

The trigger on the new King Cobra is hands down better than the classic Python's. (Which has been overrated and overpriced for many years) If the new Python doesn't reach the UK you are still better off with any Cobra. The MSRP on the Python is about $1600 and it remains to be seen how much better it is compared to the $900 King Cobra.

Oldoutlaw, bluez and manta like this.