New Python is out!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

its about investments.
    these new ones will most likely get holstered and used....making the new ones even more rare to find in mint condition.

2. bobski

even though I hated the old pythons release...it is still the best DA revolver I have ever fired.
    SA? give me the s&w...because that was the trade off on colts....either its a great DA or a SA. you couldn't have both.
    and I preferred SA operation during bullseye matches....so s&w won.

windjammer69 and Mercator like this.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I for one am not as pessimistic as some posters here on the quality of the new Python being "less"... This may fit with our cynical worldview.. but Colt for one claims (among other things) they increased durability significantly by use of more modern steel.

I find this very plausible and we have no reason to disbelieve them .. not using such a basically "free" way to improve would not make sense.. (even if the other claimed improvements were just hype..)

In essence it seems to be essentially a copy of the original with RAMD improvements (in engineering RAMD= Reliability, Availability, maintainability, durability) and product improved sights.
    And I think this is exactly what users would want.

If they will come out with a Deep Purple blued variant or not we will have to wait to find out...

I am sorely tempted myself... It is my goal to own a mid to full sized Ruger, Smith, and Colt (either this or the king Cobra Target) together.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    AndyRexia likes this.
  4. bobski

I switched to semi's. my revolver days are over. good luck to all that will pursue the python.
    colt sorta reminds me of Hollywood. nothing new happening, so they just re-do old stuff for a new crowd.

Dakota1 and Maineiak like this.
  5. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

New model 29s are made out of better metal, better heat treatment and way more precise manufactured parts than the original ones. And yet they fetch what $800 new? Try to find a pre dash 29 for that price. New model 70s are much better made than the well used/worn examples of pre-64s out there. And yet they bring in one third the price. New Pythons will go up in price, just like EVERY Colt ever made, even the atrocities like their Double Eagles now fetch a premium. It’s silly to not learn from history...

bluez and OLD Ron like this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just look at it as a good thing, it’s nice to see Colt at least try to get back into the civilian market... looking at the cobras, yes I agree they are not the cobra of the past but they still are a damn nice gun. I except the Python to be along the same lines, same as the old? No, definitely not but they still will be a damn nice gun.... I know one thing, they look pretty damn bad***

AndyRexia, bluez and OLD Ron like this.
  7. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

It would be cheaper than the 7 K rifle I have been saving up for . ( I already have $ 40 saved so far )
    :p

8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

It’s confirmed: Colt reads Firearms Talk and takes our recommendations. Awesome news. Buff and shine your trade ins dudes

schnuffleupagus and bluez like this.
  9. OLD Ron

Trade in ? NEVER !
    I don't trade in a gun I like for one I might like . Just buy it & if I don't like it ..... sell it . ( Never say why you don't like it until after it is sold ) :cool:

10. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

There's no doubt that manufacturing "techniques" have improved immensely since the early 70's "jig & fixture" days, with computer controlled machinery that is so precise it's almost scary. Types and compounds used for cutting tools give those longer life by keeping their sharpness longer. If Colt is using a better type of steel than 4140 or 4150, I'd sure like to know what chemical mixture they now use. I know of no better methods currently involved with heat-treatment of steel as each chemical mixture requires a certain procedure, which may be involved, if they are indeed using a "new" type of steel. At least, thank heaven, I hope they haven't gone to titanium or "moon rocks" :eek:.
    The one great thing that I relished with the Colt Pythons, was how the trigger system was hand fit and smoothed before they left the factory by some very skilled assemblers. That's what I firmly believe made the Pythons great shooters whether in single action or double action mode, so sweet!
    I do like Smith & Wesson N frame revolvers, but the factory attention to the internal parts only involved assembly, and off to the distributor. Took me around an hour and a half to get an N frame S&W revolver to feel pretty close to how the Pythons arrived.
    I really do hope Colt makes good with the new release of Pythons, and I also hope they finally market an 8-inch version as depicted on the cover of their 1981 firearms catalog. That being a Royal Blued 8-inch Python in .22 rimfire caliber. I'd be very happy. :)

BVAL, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The steel might be the "same" type but today the consistency of the steels from one batch to another and the precision of heat treating is amazing. In the old days it was some dude with an analog temp gauge. Today everything is digital and times are down to milliseconds and tolerances to 3-4 places right of the dot. That's why a bunch of Phillipinos can assemble a GOOD 1911 out of a bunch of parts from bins and put out a good gun at the price point they do. It's no 1920s hand fit Colt but it's a damn good fighting gun.

The beauty of the original Python is that it came in a black/blue you could melt yourself into and a factory trigger job done by guys that did thousands of them and could do it blindfolded. AND it was still priced at a price point that an average guy could swing if he stretched a bit over the "mundane" S&Ws of the time. You are NEVER going to see that gun again.

Anyway that will not be the case with the new ones. They will be very nice parts guns using the most modern technologies with a nice grip and good polishing. NOT be as nice as the old ones because if they were handful by master gunsmiths their market would shrink to folks that can swing a $3,000 .357 revolver.

That's why MSRP is $1,500 and will probably be just over $1,100 when the smoke clears. BUT, they are still addressing the SAME market that is looking for a "better" or "nicer" gun than the current S&Ws and Rugers. I actually think it's very smart.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  12. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

The steel compositions still need to be certified, for example, as to the chemical contents involved with the steel. There's a huge liability involved, especially if the composition is out of tolerance to any of the percentages of the metals mix involved and certified to. That out of tolerance condition will affect the Rc hardness and will show up during the inspection of the metal. If it doesn't match the certification, trouble will come in spades, especially during the heat-treat process.
    So, the equipment may be a bit better than when I was involved with Government specifications in the early 80's, but the steel grade composition from the mills hasn't changed.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Then I will defer to your expertise.

14. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Selling is trading. (Adam Smith)

I made it up lol

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  15. Jonndoe

Jonndoe New Member

No they won't...the new ones are just re-pops they won't stand up to the originals..One of the biggest excuse's from colt "we don't have the people we had back then"...because apparently all the smiths at colt are just knuckle dragging morons now.
    I guess we'll just have to wait for first hand reviews of the new Python's.

16. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

All the Rick Grimes wannabe's will be happy,,,
    They can hunt walkers in true fashion now.

Aarond

17. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The first reviews were done by professional and semi professional reviewrs..
    Not normal users...
    Can we trust them.. maybe.. but they have been quite positive.

I reiterate my advice to anyone who owns a classic Python for investment purposes;.. get out and get out now.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Mercator and towboater like this.
  18. OLD Ron

I see one on gun broker & the bid is $2975 .
    Crazy for a over priced $1500 gun .
    thumb_free.jpg

towboater likes this.
  19. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks nice, i wonder will any make their way over here.

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I will try to locate one in the near future. As was said how will the new Pythons compare to the old original Pythons?
    Of course if someone would like to start a go fund me page for a new Python that would be great! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p
    However, I guess I will have to wait for someone here to spend the cash and give us a Range Report and Product Report on their new model Python!;)

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.