New Python is out!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Been rumored for a while.
    4.25 and 6 inch.
    MSRP $1500
    (EDIT: More reviews linked lower in the thread)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Awesome news!

jackrich3 and bluez like this.

3. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Old time Python prices just took a hit.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Aint gonna happen!

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’d wait and see how Colts QA is today. Some of the 1911s I’ve seen coming from Colt don’t make me think these are going to be automatically classic Python quality.

Caveman Jim and kfox75 like this.
  6. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I’m actually going to agree here. I’ve always wanted a python and now it’s with in my price range. Those guys asking 2-3k for an original are probably going to sit on them till they decide to keep it or drop the price to compete with the new ones.

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

"re-engineered" Can't say for sure but I'd bet money Colt isn't hand fitting the Python lock work like they did the old ones. I'd bet money the new Python has an "improved" trigger. That'll keep the prices on the old ones stable. Shame really; I'd LOVE to own a Python again but I'm not fond enough of them to pay current prices.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  8. Gatoragn

The vintage Python market has already softened some.

Just like 3rd generation SAA's have little to no effect on the price of first generations, the new Python will not greatly influence the price of a vintage, collector grade Pythons.

The price of vintage Cobras and King Cobras has not cratered.

9. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I have always liked the one I have & no thoughts of selling it so the new ones really don't affect me at all . I wouldn't mind buying a new one in SS just to see if it is as nice to shoot . Only time I look at prices is when I want to buy something . The sell price is whatever people are willing to pay at the time you want to sell . We never loose money on things we buy ..... it is just the cost of owning it . If we buy things right there usually never is a loss .

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  10. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

pre 81 pythons were hand made.
    the union workers put pride in them. thats... the premium.
    when the union war broke out, pride was left out, the guns went down in quality.
    its been downhill ever since.
    I sold my pythons and diamondbacks long time ago when I got married and the married bills took center stage. mine were from the custom shop and were super nice....but im sorry. I got tired of pulling back the cyl release latch. it wore my thumb out and required me to turn the gun sideways. later, I went to s&w model 19 & 25's with the push release latch and never looked back....at 1/3rd the cost. hope it works out for them though. too bad it took them so long to realize they had a winner being overlooked. odds are though...itll be a cnc gun, not handmade.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  11. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Wonder if they'll produce any in carbon steel with the "Royal Blue" finish? Looks to me like a drastic attempt to try and save a once good firearms manufacturer from a dismal ending.

12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don’t think they’ll be as nice as the originals but isn’t that the case with just about anything these days?

OLD Ron, Caveman Jim and SGWGunsmith like this.
  13. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

"New," Improved," "Modern" are words designed to wow non thinkers.
    Today, they usually mean "Cheaply Made." MIM parts, etc. Businesses thrive in this economy by Pricing it High & Making it Cheap.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    BVAL, OLD Ron and tac foley like this.
  14. SGWGunsmith

Internal parts were "hand-fitted", that's for sure, and why they have such terrific trigger pulls, but I doubt that those Pythons were actually hand made. :eek:

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  15. SGWGunsmith

Most likely you are correct, so if that's what their plan is, they'd be better off re-introducing the Anaconda in .44 magnum and .45 Colt calibers, as far as I'm concerned, maybe even the .454 Casull.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

17. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

18. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Prices for old Pythons will continue to go up. Since Winchester reintroduced the CR Model 70, have pre-64 prices gone down at all? Nope. Anybody bump into a cheap WWII PPK yet? How about any cheap Smith and Wesson Model 29 or 27s since they reintroduced their “Classic” models.

You don’t hang on to a well cared vintage Python in Royal Blue because you are looking to stuff it in a holster and go on patrol. I think lots of folks will buy new ones and stash them away, hoping they will increase in value and they are not wrong.

When Colt introduced Anacondas and King Cobras everyone was calling them failures and fake pythons. Now look at the prices on those guns. I wish I’d bought 6 of each when they came out!

I expect after the madness slows down they will be available in the low 4 figures and that’s not out of line with a comparable Smith. If they do a good job and the quality warrants that price I might want to pick one up so I can retire my Royal Blue gun and have a shooter I can use, not abuse, and watch it appreciate in value with its vintage sister.

OLD Ron and bluez like this.
  19. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

I disagree about the prices going up on old Pythons, as long as Colt produces the same quality or better, the used prices should go down.
    Pre-64 Winchesters were known for having a better quality than the ones that followed, whether it was warnt'd or not. Ever price a new PPK?
    Why would you want to buy a $3500 Python if you can get a brand new one of same or better quality for half the price?

Do you think that an AMF Harley is worth the same as a EVO?

20. Gatoragn

The vintage Python market will continue to fluctuate. A NIB 2.5 inch blue Python will continue to command a premium.

Purists will not change.

OLD Ron likes this.