New PX4 Owner

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by Nismotech85, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

Hello ladies and gents. I just scooped up a full size PX4 storm in 9mm and was curious to see what informed minds had to say about resources/advice on this particular pistol. Im looking for a holster that will carry comfortably and be able to accomodate a laser or flashlight, and in the future a sight/targeting upgrade depending on how the factories perform. Anything to look out for over its life? Known failures? Mods that make it run better?

bluez, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad ya came over and joined us!
    Go over to introductions and introduce yourself we’d like to hear about you... I’m sure you’ll find some good info on the storm I think a few guys have them here

OLD Ron and PeeJay1313 like this.

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I own two PX4, one full size in .45acp and the sub-compact in 9mm. Both have been flawless no failures of any kind. I cc carry the sub-compact in an IWB and occasionally in a belt slide, I have no intentions on any mods at this time.

The full size is a great shooting range/nightstand gun but too large for me to cc all day.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

Im a big dude, i feel like i may be able to carry a FS without too many problems but that's a guess at this point. I dont think ive heard anyone knock its reliability so far so that is refreshing to hear. Im going to find out when i run 500 rounds of reloaded through it this weekend. The vibe im getting is a reliable duty-style gun with a few quirks that people dont like. Im not enough of an aficionado to have those kinds of opinions but they are welcomed here as i am looking for advice from people who know more than I do. Thank you for the replies so far.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Not a PX4 owner, but I have given it a lot of thought.

A friend has the PX4 series (full, compact, and sub-compact) along with the CX4. I really enjoy shooting them. I thought it was an ugly pistol and honestly had no interest because of that. Vain I know. Then I shot his and instantly liked them. I don’t like that the sub-compact has a tilting barrel while the compact and full use the rotating barrel, but I do understand the rotating barrel just will not work in the sup-compact.

I am a Ruger fanboy and my 9mm’s are the American pistols, both full size and compact, along with the PC Carbine. It sucks that I had to buy a Mag well adapter fo my Ruger Carbine to use a Ruger magazine. What sense does that make? Let the GLOCK-aholics buy the adapter if needs be.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Px4s have been around for a couple decades. I’m a Beretta fan, but resisted the Px4 based on looks for a while. Bought a Px4 compact a couple years ago when I was looking to replace my Glock 19 with a DA/SA pistol that had a decocker, and full sized Walther P99s were hard to find (still are).

Ran across a pretty epic thread (well over a few hundred pages now) on a different forum about optimizing the Px4 compact for carry. Beretta has several factory parts that are arguably better for a carry pistol. Most of those parts work for the full size and compact. Lower profile safety levers are available which are better for carry that the wide batwing levers. Also low profile slide catch lever, large, medium and small mag release buttons, night sights, competition trigger pack, etc.

Ernest Langdon was a big part of getting the word out about the available factory parts. He also partnered with Beretta on the development and testing of the Compact Carry version of the Px4 that Beretta offers as a complete package. Langdon Tactical makes complete full size versions of this package, and offers parts for the Px4 line.

I’ve liked my compact Px4 enough, that I jumped on a bargain priced, used full size Px4 when I saw it in a pawn shop.

Things to pay attention to when cleaning and lubing the Px4 is the cam/cam block for the rotating barrel. Some light grease in the cam block channel, can be useful. Also when getting new mags, take them apart and clean them. I had some issues with a mag, that a thorough cleaning cleared up.

with regard to reliability, Beretta claims they have had some of these pistols go 150,000 rounds without any parts breakage. In the rather epic thread I mentioned, Ernest Langdon ran the compact for over 60,000 rounds, and the full size for over 50,000 rounds. He did experience a cam block extension, breakage around 48,000 rounds, but didn’t find it right away, because the pistol was still running.

Nismotech85 likes this.
  7. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

This is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you. Link to the other thread?

towboater likes this.
  8. SSGN_Doc

The other thread (now threads, relating to the compact and now also the full size) are on an entirely different forum. I won’t post them directly here in this thread, out of respect for this site. I will private message them to you. Give me a few minutes.

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. SSGN_Doc

Regarding holsters. I’ve carried my compact in a JM Custom Kydex holster. The turn around and price can be a bit more than some folks want to take on.

Vedder holsters are also very good, the cost is a bit lower and turn around for mine for my CZ P07 with a threaded barrel was purchased and delivered inside of a week. (you can search around or watch some YouTube videos that give some discount codes as well).

For any of the holster manufacturers, you will need to let them know what kind of light you are running.

I personally think lasers are of limited use and if I was going to pick light or laser, I’d go with a light. Opinions vary on this, and that statement I just made may be the one thing I’ve said which could make this thread start an opinion battle.

10. SSGN_Doc

Just for some modification examples:

My compact vs. my full size:

[​IMG]

The compact has Beretta “Stealth decocker levers”. These are very low profile compared to the standard safety/decocker levers you can see on the full size. Both are currently set up as “decocker only”.

The frame is a bit slick on the sides, so I’ve stippled my compact and will do the full size at some point. I live in the Pacific Northwest and rain and moisture are common. I had been stationed in GA, and I stippled my Glocks because of the humidity.

The compact comes standard with ambidextrous slid3 release levers. I replaced these with a left side only, low profile lever and got a frame plug for the right side, hole. This and the switch to the low profile decocker levers make a significant difference in overall thickness in the pistol and make it much more comfortable for carry.

Sights were replaced with Ameriglo sights, that feature a fluorescent orange surrounded front night sight, and a blacked out rear sight. This makes for very easy to pick up and follow front sight. The full size still has stock sights, but I orange painted the front until I get some Ameriglo sights for it. The factory sights were a bear to remove. Got the rear sight off with a sight pusher, but couldn’t get the front to budge. Ended up having a smith remove the front for me.

I’ve switched the hammer spring in the compact to a Wilson Combat #12lb model 92 spring. The weight is pretty light, but the longer length makes it more like a 15lb spring in the Px4. This seems to offer a very good compromise in reducing DA trigger pull a bit, while providing reliable primer ignition, even on European military surplus ammo (MEN from Germany, S&B Czech, GECO from Switzerland and Hungary, Fiocchi, Prvi Partisan, and IMI from Israel).

As you can see on my compact, the finish is a bit on the soft side. It’s been carried quite a bit, and I did a lot of drills from and back into the holster. The full size is actually older, but I’m betting it has a lower round count and probably wasn’t subjected to as much holster wear by its previous owner.

Anyway, that’s a bit of a summary for you and the folks on this forum.

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  11. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

This is top-notch information. Think im going to like it here. Cheers.

SSGN_Doc and towboater like this.
  12. SSGN_Doc

Glad to help. Post some pics and/or a range report after you get a chance to shoot it.

13. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

May knock off early Thursday to pick it up and run to the range. Haven't shot a pistol in years so no laughing at my targets :D

towboater and SSGN_Doc like this.
  14. SSGN_Doc

Nah. Wouldn’t do that. But I’ll be interested in what your impressions of shooting it are, especially if you haven’t been shooting handguns in a while.

Not going to offer to much on my own impressions, so
    I don’t influence your own experience.

15. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Active Member

I would suggest the Stealth Levers and some Talon grips.

I have a full sized Type C (no safety, striker-like action) in .40 and the grips are a big help.

Overall, enjoy it! It's a fantastic pistol.

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  16. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Keep the barrel lugs oiled. The only downside to this pistol is that it’s fat and not the most comfortable to carry IWB. Also the safety/de cocker is flush fit and requires a long practiced thumb to operate.
    It produced less (perceived) muzzle flip in 45 acp than a heavier 1911.

17. SSGN_Doc

My 9mm compact with low profile levers is about the same thickness as my Glock 19. The rounded rear of the slide actually adds to carry comfort for me. Others mileage may vary.

18. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

Picked it up today, brought it home and cleaned it up and oiled it. Took the advice about disassembling and cleaning the mags and was glad I did. After i was satisfied with everything, took it to the range and ran 200rds of 125gr and 147gr TPJ reloads and 20rds of Hornady Black JHP without issue. It is wicked accurate out to 10 yards even in my very rusty hands. 20+ years since i last shot a pistol. Had 2/17 outside of the silhouette at 20 yards. Overall pretty pleased with it so far, will need more than 200rds to figure out exactly how i feel. Trigger had a little crunch in it after takeup in SA after 100rds. Feeling pretty certain im going to want different sights, although my glasses fogged occasionally and i was still able to hit the target.

19. Nismotech85

Nismotech85 New Member

10 yards, first mag.

Attached Files:

SSGN_Doc and Rifling82 like this.
  20. SSGN_Doc

Looks like it puts rounds pretty much where you point.

The trigger does smooth out a bit without ton of rounds.

I went with the Ameriglo sights that you can get from Beretta, or several other sources so it pays to shop around.

Not very good lighting, but this may give you a bit of an idea of wha5 they are like. Tritium night sight up front with bright orange surrounding the tritium capsule. Rear sight is solid black.

[​IMG]

What did you think of recoil?

towboater and Rifling82 like this.