new, purchase on a 223/5.56 ??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 69willys, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 69willys

69willys New Member

Hey all quick question... I have been spending time at the range with a buddy who has allowed me to shoot his bushmaster 223.. I'm officially hooked. I have no, more then a grand to spend. What is going to be my best pick for the price over quality and accuracy? Please no 1500 dollar black swat approved models I can not go there the women in my life would kill me!

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Quick question... can you please fill in the blanks? What do you intend to do with the rifle? Give us as much detail as you can. I'd spend hours reading about ARs right now, it's by far the best favor you can do for yourself. We'll be glad to help but give this a lot of thought.

3. jamesb

jamesb New Member

This. Do this. Then come back and show us some that you are interested in.

4. Okie_fd

Okie_fd New Member

I think what Quentin is saying is there are a lot of threads where ppl has asked the very same question. It's hard for these guys to help if you don't clarify what is the purpose of the gun. Just plinking or 300 yrd shots or SHTF gun. Basically you can learn a lot by reading the other threads and narrow it down a bit. Then the gurus can help with specifics.

5. damocles

damocles New Member

I have the same question, been looking through threads. What if you want a shtf gun that you want to use for 300m plinking?

6. spack762

spack762 New Member

What about a Galil?? As a 300yard gun and a SHTF?? Id like one, but never have touched obe.

7. Wi_Hunter556

Wi_Hunter556 New Member

Bushmaster has the orc which is cheap. I bought a daniel defense and they run around $1500, I got mine for a grand from a buddy that bought it and never used it. But check out delton they make some quality rifles from the reviews that are out there. Aero precisions and palmettos are good too. Id go with an ar for SHTF weapon. A galil wouldn't be my choice for an SHTF weapon because of avalibility of parts. Way more ar's out there than galils. Even a ruger mini 14 would be a good choice alsom

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Always on top of things aren't you? :D This should be an automated responce.

9. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Really? He has around $1k to spend and you toss out Delton. :D I'd go BCM for $1k. Stag Arms is around $800-900 depending on model, but I think the BCM is a great SHTF and also quality.

If you want something cheaper so you can use some of that money for ammo then check out the S&W M&P lineup.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Yep. $930 will get you a BCM.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw a brand new Stag today for $850. AR prices are down from what they were a couple of years ago.

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Get Daniel Defense! ;)

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good weapon but it's over his spending limit by a couple hundred. Colt or BCM for a sub $1k AR.

15. 69willys

69willys New Member

Its mostly going to be a range gun and a small game getter..

16. 69willys

69willys New Member

I am completly aware of the thousands of pages of post I've looked here and other places for months.. rented at the range... read hours of black gun magizine pages...people seem to be caught in the best of the best arguments a lot that is all. My problem... I'm a 30|30, bolt, shotgun, 1911 owner and my judgment on those is a lot more detailed. Black rifels have been nothing more then a curiosity to me before six months ago. but I have learned they are great shooters and a lot of fun.. I just can't see spending more then a thosuand right now... your answers are really apprecaited.. I just didn't want to be caught purchasing a dud that had an inticing price tag.

17. 69willys

69willys New Member

I really like coyote hunting, big in to the shooting range, and wouldn't mind using it for rabbit hunting if a can find a round that won't go splat to much. I like the camo layout such as the remington modle and the m and p is nice but seems basic and how hard would it be to attach add ons?

18. spack762

spack762 New Member

Ok to toss us off subject.
    How does the Galil match up aganist the AR's. Is it as, almost, not even close to accurate? What about handling? I know there is not nearly as many add on's foe it.
    If I was going to get obe id get at least two, parts and the like so I hope that wont be a priblem.
    Thoughts...

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can do just fine w/ a $1k budget.

Two different beasts.

20. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Here's an option to look into if you wanna stay under 1k
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html

All you would need is a stripped lower receiver and a go getter attitude and you could end up with a decent 6-700 dollar rifle. There's even a how-to stickied in this very forum on assembling the lower receiver. Just another option to consider. Built my first one with very little knowledge of the platform with the help of some of the good fellas on this site