Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 4 M1 Carbine magazines (all USGI surplus) from JG Sales' Gunbroker page for $4.99. The catch was that they were "gunsmith specials". I figured for $5, I could at least get a mag or two in working order. They arrived today and I was wondering what I should do with them. Two have some pretty bad rust, while the other two have no rust, but have 0% finish. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400536951.815928.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400536970.588731.jpg The two on the left side are the rusty ones, and the right most ones are the 0% finish. I'm about to break them down and see the insides. I was thinking use them as a bluing project or home parkerizarion? What are y'all opinions? All feed back is appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. All of the mags have perfect followers, the rusty ones have perfect mag springs, the 0% finish have decent springs, the insides of the rusty ones are pretty clean... I should be ably to get 2 good mags out of these. I may need to get a floor plate though.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An interesting floor plate replacement ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400540187.099980.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400540166.366207.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400540174.413259.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Oh yeah. You can get those working again. How about a nice spray on gun coating?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah. You can get those working again. How about a nice spray on gun coating?

Like Duracoat in a can? I've removed as much surface rust as I can with sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, and a Dremel sanding wheel. Now that's left is pitting and sparse rust that I'll get tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Danfl gave me a product from Brownells called brownells aluma hyde 2. So far it seems like a great wear resistant coating that can take a lot of abuse. The only down side is the full cure time on it is almost two weeks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it'll be ok to put on top of the rust and pitting without any problems?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That I don't know. It calls for clean bare metal free of oils

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

·
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
8,034 Posts
I'm using some DuraCoat in a can for a few projects- grey tiger stripes on my Mossberg 702 and SA-20 to offset the Black, grey coated Slide on a 92,.....let you know when I'm done

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Like Duracoat in a can? I've removed as much surface rust as I can with sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, and a Dremel sanding wheel. Now that's left is pitting and sparse rust that I'll get tomorrow.
Soak them in some Evapo-Rust http://www.evapo-rust.com/ and even the bottom of the pits will be free from rust. But you will have to apply your coating right away (after rinsing and drying) to prevent them from flash rusting again. Available at Lowes, Harbor Freight, auto parts houses, etc.

Aluma-Hyde is an epoxy based coating and would be a good choice for your situation I agree. I use an air dry solid film lubricant from Sandstrom Products for things of that nature but it's really, really, REALLY expensive. :eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
my sun bought me a small bead blasting gun 20 dollars at harber frieght if you have air compressor gun works great can take most finish of then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts