New project need help!

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Jon12312, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Alright guys here's the deal. I have a single shot 12g with wood furniture. I want to sand it down and paint it black. How do i go about doing this? Is it possable?

2. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

By the way its a Boito 151.

3. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

Break it down take off the recoil pad if it has on and get to sanding. Paint it whatever color you want and then seal it. You can use gun wax to seal the wood.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If the stock is decent, consider using ebony stain and a good finish. I like tung oil, usually about 5 or 6 coats but there are other good finishes out there. I recently had to strip a painted stock and refinish it because a little Hoppe's got on it and took off the paint.

5. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Great thanks guys! But for black paint what should I use?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I may offer my opinion...

Black stocks on a shotgun makes it look cheap (again, that is my opinion).

If you are going to paint, take a look at an air dry versus oven bake. Aluma-hyde is an air-dry and seems to hold up pretty good.

7. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

I agree. Its just a cheap project gun that I dont know what to do with.. Any ideas?

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

No idea on the type of paint to use, but I'd like to throw a vote in for the ebony stain. Just sayin, I think it might be easier to work with and probably look better. My opinion, sorry, I know you didn't really ask for that.

9. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Thats exactly what im looking for. I was never set on black i just was looking for a good idea. Thanks! Ill post some pics when im done.

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Just my .02 but in my opinion, painting over a guns wood furniture seems sacrilegious... If you must change it's color, go with the stain as suggested above. I've got to say, though, that I have not come across a gun yet that had wood furniture that did not turn out looking very nice after a good clean up, sanding, staining, and a hand rubbed oil finish applied.

11. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Thanks Oldman. But where can I find gun stain/the other stuff i need?

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

lowes, home depot, sometimes walmart, midway usa, brownells. There may be special gun stain colors, but in the end wood is wood and stain is stain.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

jon here are some examples of what you can do to make it look better. the shotgun had decent walnut, but needed a little tlc to help it out. the marlin 22 was a good shooter i picked up cheap, but was cosmetically challenged!

a little sanding, staining, and rubbing with paste wax will do wonders for your stock.

Attached Files:

14. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Awsome pics! Thanks im going to start it this week so I will post some pics when im done. What is the wax called and where can I find it?

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Johnson's paste wax, Walmart, Lowes and many others should carry it. it comes in a metal can similar to what shoe polish use to come in.

first prep the wood by either sanding down to bare wood or with a stripper. if using stripper let dry completely then sand down with about 400 grit sandpaper. apply whatever stain you want with at least two coats and let dry completely. take very fine steel wool and apply the paste wax with the steel wool and rub it in and do this several times to work the wax into the surface. then just buff out the wood surfaces with a soft cotton rag. that's it.

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Just posting to keep this thread for refence. Redoing my Wasr10 and needed a little help.

Thanks..

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Help with what exactly the refinishing?

18. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Yah so i know what all i needed.

Before.

ForumRunner_20120223_144353.jpg

After. Stained it red mohogany and polished the bolt carrier. Its not as red as i would like it, but i did it myself and im happy with it.

ForumRunner_20120223_144516.jpg

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Looks good. If you want it redder, then try a wood dye (test it on a scrap first). They are like stains, but come in many non-wood related colors. It can look amazing depending on what you use it on. :D
    Here are some pics from google.
    [​IMG]
    Red dyed Curly Maple
    [​IMG]
    Black dyed Curly Maple
    [​IMG]
    Blue dyed Curly Maple

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Good job on the stock restorations. They look great.