New poll on British gun laws

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JWagner, May 30, 2013.

1. JWagner

JWagner New Member

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Does not surprise me...

Recent European "hack attacks" by radicals would make any bleating sheep want there own gun.

The question is... will this sentiment stick? And how far are the Brits willing to push it.

No doubt, the chorus of useful idiots in the media will be along shortly to insult the responders to the poll.

Tack

3. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Maybe they should have thought about that after they tried it on the "colonies" they've enslaved over the years. :rolleyes:

4. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

There is as much chance of a British government allowing handguns back as pigs flying. People can call me defeatist I call it reality and living in the real world and not some parallel universe.

]

I am not sure what that has to do with the post.

5. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Point is even if the ban was repealed although it would be great for us sporting shooters it still would not address the issue of firearms being allowed for self defence reason's

6. britishbulldog

britishbulldog New Member

Any type of self defense would be better than nothing. Even pepper spray is banned in the uk along with stun guns and anything else half useful.

7. HankStone

HankStone New Member

The UK is a strange critter,I hear tell a British Soldiers head was decapitated this week,and another Brit Soldier was stabbed to death yesterday,right on the street in broad daylight,perhaps the Germans will attack again,no that would be a step in the right direction,if they did at this day and time!

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder, are guarddogs or fighting dogs very popular in the UK? If I couldn't have a firearm or even some types of knives for self defense, I would take a dog everywhere I went, a very LARGE and vicious-looking dog with a taste for testicles.

9. manta

Even certain dogs are banned under the dangerous dogs act. But lets get things in perspective I haven't being attacked or burgled or any of my friends or acquaintances so carrying anything for self defence would be well down my priority list.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Manta is an example of British defeatism. I am OK so who needs Freedom? After spending time in England I do agree with him. The English will never allow access to personal protection. :(

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess at least, a "dangerous dog" ban applies to something that could, under certain circumstances occasionally encountered in the real world, be dangerous WITHOUT the owner/user intending it to be dangerous.

Maybe I could get a really pissed off Chihuahua with dental implants?

M, I know you live in a very different place, but I feel compelled to E-scream the following: Know anybody well with HIV? But you still use condoms/safe sex, right? Ever drowned? But you still use lifejackets when boating, right? Ever been killed in a car accident? But you still wear seat belts, right? etc. Caution isn't seen as worthwhile until it is too late for caution to do any good. Maybe you could find a nice walking cane to carry with you?

12. manta

I agree its good to use common sense to be cautious and take sensible precautions. But I don't think that its a good idea when some get carried away and it effects every day life negatively. There is a happy medium with everything. When I read about taking firearms into the shower and carrying two firearms and two knifes I think they are getting the balance wrong when you look at the odds of being attacked.

13. manta

I call it being realistic I am not sure about America but politicians in the UK if there is no votes in it for them it won't happen. And shooting in the UK is very much a minority pursuit compared with America so most of the population are anti gun or don't care either way.

14. bcshadow

bcshadow New Member

I am a Brit living in Vancouver, BC Canada for past thirty years ( so I am undoubtedly out of touch ).

I am going back to the UK in June, for the first time in 30 years. I am interested in hearing about their views on firearms ownership and defense.

Oh and please don't try to send Piers Morgan back to England (or to Canada!), as he is not really popular generally. I imagine Americans have their own black sheep, Piers Morgan is ours. Perhaps the Falklands......?

15. manta

What questions do you have and I will try to answer them.

16. bcshadow

bcshadow New Member

I understand your comment about the reality, in response to other comments. It is also more of a gun culture in North America (nothing wrong with that)

Other Brits have told me that there are almost 4 million registered guns in England, compared to hundreds of millions in the US.

I have also been told that silencers are available to firearms owners in the UK... don't really understand why, if the other laws are so restrictive?

Are any handguns allowed? How are long guns purchased? regulated? background checks? licensing? ability to transport etc? gun club membership needed?

17. manta

Silencers are available for rifles, usual reason health and safety ( hearing ) and not disturbing live stock.

Black powder handguns are allowed in England Scotland and wales and some 9mm etc for humane dispatch when hunting.
    Any rifle can be got for hunting and target shooting single shot only except .22 are allowed in semi auto. You have to apply for a firearms certificate for the firearm. There are background checks for criminal convictions and mental health issues. All firearms country to some beliefs have to be kept at the owners address in a approved gun safe. When transporting firearms they have to be stored out of sight.
    You don't have to be in a club to own a firearm, In N Ireland all types handguns are legal but you have to be in a firearms club to get one it to is kept at the owners address.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

With the exception of the "occasional" white kid going off his meds... shootings are very much a "minority pursuit" here as well... unless it's one of us shooting in self defense.

We may have more total "shootings" but our violent crime rate is much lower that England's...

Tack

19. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

What did the fine folks of the Falklands ever do to you to wish something that horrible on them? :D:D:D

20. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I'd be careful giving ground on even that, Tack. I believe shootings of criminals as well as suicides by gun are usually all lumped into the total of U.S. "gun homicides".

The gun controllers are real slippery with their numbers.