New Pistol?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Lilniko357, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilniko357

Lilniko357 New Member

My First Pistol:
    Which would be the best / cheapest To Get?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well that all depends on several different things. 1) how much experiance with firearms in general and pistols in specifc? 2) what is the intended purpose of the pistol? 3) what is you budget for the intended pistol?

little to no experiance, start with a 22 rimfire pistol first, either a semi-auto or even a revolver. some experiance, go with either a revolver in 357/38 or a 9mm in a semi auto, due to cost of ammo for practice or just general range use.

deciding whether you want a pistol for range use and general target practice or whether it's for SD/HD use is important. now you can use one pistol for both, but there are always tradeoffs when doing so. not everyone can afford both types as many of us have pistols just for one purpose or the other, so if relegated to one, then you need to optimize both uses as best as possible.

deciding on how much you have to spend will also be a key factor in what is available for you to purchase.

give us some more details and maybe we can help you make a better informed decision on what to get.

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

What ^^ he said

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree with the fine gentlemen above, and I would like to add...

there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. So, what are you looking for?

5. Axxe55

Dan is exactly right. there is a huge difference between cheap and inexpensive. cheap will give you nothing but problems, and inexpensive will be a good value!

good point there Dan.

6. Lilniko357

Lilniko357 New Member

I'm looking at a .32 derringer

7. danf_fl

Not knowing your experience and purpose the firearm is to serve (range, self-defense, or just something to talk about), I am hesitant to suggest such a handgun.

8. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Worthless in my opinion. Unless you collect firearms and it fills a nitch.

Why I say that? It's the rock bottom caliber size for defence. It's strictly close quarters maybe 15-20 feet. A J-Frame S&W .38 is probably just as concealable and you get more than 2 shots with alot more punch.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  9. Axxe55

i have to agree, that a 32 derringer is probably not the wisest choice for a first pistol. might want to start with a larger or full size 22 rimfire to begin with. just some helpful advice.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Heck ya, i killed a rhino with a .22 one time. As it was charging at me i shot and knicked it in the ear. It face planted into the dirt, rolled 4 times, farted 3 times,its head fell off,and it died. Its the craziest thing i ever saw.

I also killed a pterodactyl with my BB gun but thats another story :)

11. Lilniko357

Lilniko357 New Member

.22 feel like a ear piercing an cant do any damage

12. Axxe55

a 22 can do lots of damage when you learn shot placement, and a 22 will allow you lots of practice for cheap. even a 44 Mag can't do any damage if you can't hit what you aim at!

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

About one of the most BS posts I've ever read. I take that back, I specifically requested I be permanently blocked from the GLOCK forum for a reason... :)

If a .22 hits nothing but meat, it's gonna hurt a bit. It has minimal knockdown, so it's not going to stop an attacker based on ballistics alone, usually.

However, it's such a light and energetic round, it's one of the few that bounces around like a pin ball as soon as it meets a bone. I'm terrified of a .22. I'd rather be hit with something that will make a clean entrance and likely just stop in one place.

Can't do any damage? I think there statistics out there that show .22's have killed more people than any other handgun round on the market. I'd have to verify before claiming that's a fact though.

14. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

And if you're not comfortable with a 22lr.
    Get a 22mag at least. With fast expanding 40gr rounds, it has a 40-42% one shot drop rating

Imo a small revolver in 38 +p or 357 is your best bet for a carry gun.

From your posts you seem inexperienced, nothing Wrong with that, that's why we are here.

How much experience do you have with firearms?

15. Lilniko357

Lilniko357 New Member

Wait I'm Talkn Bout A .25

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I would say it depends on what

you want most- cheapest or best.

Assuming you want a good starting gun,

assuming you want one that's accurate and fun at the range,

assuming you want low-cost ammo,

Either a Ruger MK III or Buckmark, with the

6 3/4" bull barrel, in 22LR caliber.

BTW, "cheapest" and "best" don't mix well anywhere,

but especially not in the gun world...

17. orangello

orangello New Member

25ACP? Yuck! At least move up to a .380, maybe one of those nice Bersa's. I really liked mine; great pocket gun, IMO. The single stack models can be found for under $300, but i would spend the extra $30 and get that nice flat nickel finish.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  18. orangello

orangello New Member

So, do you have to get a wildlife stamp for pterodactyl hunting? Or was this more of a "it's coming right for me!" situations?

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Derringer is useless, made for gamblers and bar brawlers. Its not a good first pistol or even 3rd or 4th. Its a dangerous toy that collectors keep for show not go. Tiny frame weapons arent good for much but cracker jack boxes.

Nice mid sized .38 or 357 revolver is a great beginners piece, easy to load and clear misfires, plenty of stopping power without too much kick and you will be able to afford the ammo to practice, practice, practice (did I mention Practice?). You can reach out and touch someone without pulling a 6 lb Dirty Harry off your hip or fumbling with a toy in your pocket and blowing your Man Goods off!

20. danf_fl

lilniko357
    Let's get down to the basic info.
    We need more information than what you are giving us.
    The more you insist on not telling us, the more you are sounding like a troll.

Read this thread and answer what people are asking you.
    What is your experience? What do you plan to do with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.