New Para Competition Gun

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by indy36, Feb 22, 2016.

1. indy36

indy36 New Member

Bought this Para Ordnance 14.45 Tactical today from a buddy. It's a double-stack .45 ready for USPSA. I got five 14 round mags with the gun. Gun is kitted out with competition goodies such as a big beveled magwell, fiber front sight and adjustable rear, extended and enlarged mag release, and match grade barrel and trigger. It had one box of bullets put through it so it's as close to new as it gets. Cost to me was $800. I'm looking forward to giving her a spin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice score on a nice gun! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Nice piece, good luck with it. I've been looking at a Para race gun in .38 super at my LGS. I already snoozed on one, for $1200.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I picked up a 14-45 long-slide a while back for a little less. But I planned on immediately

gunsmithing it. Took it in, had that crappy ambi safety and spring replaced with a standard

LHS safety, and the stiffer standard safety spring which goes with it.. All new Wolff

Springs, which especially made a difference for the mags.

As to the mag release? I just ordered a replacement, so I could grind it down. The

original was about 1/8th" too long, and it was ejecting mags from holster contact.

Which may make no difference, to you, if you never carry it as a sidearm.

It's all up and running now.

I hope you enjoy it, but if I were you, I would give it a hard workout, before you

trust it, or take it to compete.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. indy36

indy36 New Member

The Para was traded off today. I now have a new 5-inch Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm. Bullets cost a lot less for this gun and its reliability is not questionable.

[​IMG]

6. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

You're going to love the PPQ, I have the 4" and it shoots really well. Very easy to hit with.

7. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Seems to me that double stack 1911's in 45acp are always a question in reliability. Nice ppq.

8. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

From somebody who's going thru it, making a Para 14-45 reliable is a labor of love.

When you are done, you have an accurate 15 round 1911.

This is fun, for someone who likes to sink their teeth into the

occasional "project gun".

Most folks expect a gun to be reliable, and accurate straight from the box, these days.

Para is not the brand, for them, right now.

10. weapon

weapon New Member

I have two older Paras from the early 90s - a P14 and a P16 which I shot in USPSA on several occasions. Feed ramps were polished and the triggers were tuned down considerably but I never had a reliability issue with either of them. .45 load was always a 200gr SWC and the .40 was used with a number of different SWC and other bullets. Sounds like they have gone downhill some.