New or Used Rifle for 18th birthday

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by PrestonPoole, Jun 22, 2013.

1. PrestonPoole

PrestonPoole New Member

I was wondering what would be a good AK platform rifle that is relatively cheap, but easy to acquire. I know that after the Gun Ban came into play this year everything sky rocketed in price. AR's are out of the question entirely. I'm not a fan of 5.56 round due to my findings of the prices.

2. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I'd say go for an SKS

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

...before these milled receivers, which are out of production,

get priced higher than ARs!

4. PrestonPoole

PrestonPoole New Member

I would like to get an original Russian SKS which is about the same as any AK (~$600+), but I have seen Yugo SKS's for $400

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Ya can just about build a good AR for the price of an AK.

6. PrestonPoole

PrestonPoole New Member

I'm not one to use an AR, they do not feel right to me.

7. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

If you can find it check out a saiga 7.62x39 preferably in converted format. U can usually find a converted one in the 6 to 8 range. Excellent ak platform thats typically comparable in quality to the $1000+ arsenal ak

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Check pawn shops and gun shops in your area and be patient. I bought a WASR 10/63 for just over $300 after transfer fees and tax because someone spray painted the whole thing in black paint. I mean they painted everything. So I was able to talk the price down. It took me over four hours, some serious weird brushing, and paint stripper use to get all the crappy paint off of it. Then some time refinishing it. But it's shoots good and looks decent now and other than my time I don't have a lot tied up in it.

There are enough mall ninjas, wannabe Rambos and gangstas along with Bubba Tapco gunsmiths out there that you could find a cosmetically challenged AK or SKS that you may be able to haggle down to a good deal. Just try to figure the cost if undoing the previous morons work into the project.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's a much worse time right now to buy an AK over, say, an AR, even WASRs are $900 unless you luck into a deal like SSGN_Doc. And the SKS for $400 up.

I don't know when the next big shipment of Saigas and WASRs will come in but it's been a while. Not that long ago Saigas were $299 and they're the real deal Russian "AKM" (after you do the conversion).

10. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Not even close in pricing as an AR!
    What do you see them going for around you?

11. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

A Chinese Norinco is a bit cheaper, still works more than great

12. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

There are a couple for around 600 near me new, don't know what kind they are though.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I said B E F O R E, not "they are currently higher priced than ARs"

PAY ATTENTION! I even have to say this?

SKSs are out of production. Prices are rising on SKSs.

ARs are going to drop in value, and pattern parts will, in all

probability, NEVER stop being made.

H E L L O ! !

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  14. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Shows how much I'm paying attention, G'nite!

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

This is the one I bought and refinished.

[​IMG]

16. PrestonPoole

PrestonPoole New Member

That is beautiful!

17. Garadex

Garadex New Member

You love showing off that beautiful gun don't you?

18. hq357

hq357 New Member

Very nice!! For only 300??? Wowza!

19. hq357

hq357 New Member

I was in the exact same position as you! until i realized the sks is just as good if not better, magazines for the ak type rifles are becoming harder to find, some are reliable some are not, the the sks dosent need a magazine it has a 10 round internal magazine that can be loaded by hand or use 10 round stripper clips, stripper clips are also MUCH cheaper 3-4$ a piece they are also alot lighter then the big ol ak mags, you can wear a vest carrying alot more ammo with stripper clips than you would with ak mags just 3 stripper clips in a pouch or pocket would be equivalent to a 30 round ak mag the most ak mags you can probably cary would be 6 or 8 but they are big and clums also the sks is a little more accurate due to its longer barrel there is a couple videos on youtube that made me decide an sks over an ak checkem out! ;)

20. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member