New old S&W

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by NGIB, Jul 14, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Found this one local on Gunbroker for a very reasonable price. It's a pre-lock 686 (no dash model) with the factory target stocks. It locks up tighter than a bank vault. Always nice to find a classic S&W at a reasonable price...

[​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's one of my favorite revolvers. My problem is that most pre-lock S&W revolvers are my favorite revolvers and Ruger makes some of my favorite revolvers too.

My only problem is lack of funds. :D

3. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Thats a fine looking 686.

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

The 686 with 4" barrel is my favourite .357, and the wood stocks look much better than the new rubber ones.

Congratulations!

5. SWAirweight

SWAirweight New Member

Purley a work of art. Smith and Wesson, Saftey, Security, Protection,and Sport.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If it is a "pre-dash" 686 check the frame under the crane for an "M" stamp. The first runs had a problem with the hammer nose bushing that caused excess primer flow. This can lock up the action and potentially bleed gasses back toward your face.

S&W recalled these and installed new hammer nose bushings. The frames were stamped with an "M" indicating they had been modified.

L-Frames are really sweet revolvers. With a little trigger work they will rival a Python. Nice find!

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

No "M" stamp so it hasn't been back for the recall. As this won't be a carry gun, I may send it may not...

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful gun! I really like the look of that handgrip.

The level of in-depth knowledge on this forum consistently impresses me.

9. buy_vigrxplus

buy_vigrxplus New Member

Diane S. Avery

The best information i have found exactly here. Keep going Thank you

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The modification will not be needed if you do not shoot full house Magnums. lighter loads should not stress the primers enough to worry about. I have never heard of "Collector Value" being diminished because of the factory fix (modification).

I would send it off to be safe.

11. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Sweet find NGIB

Good looking 686. I traded for a 4" 681 awhile back, and have been very happy with it. It shoots well, and to point of aim with most .357s. I know it sounds backwards, but I really like the no-snag, fixed sights on the 681 better than those on the 686.:confused: Have fun with the 686 and don't be timid about running full house 357s through it-that's what the L frame is made for.!!!:D

12. Stealie

Stealie New Member

Congrats, I have one just like it. Old S&W wheelguns are the best.