New Mosin Nagant 91/30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JonM, Apr 20, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well when i went down to the local gun dealer to square away the ffl faxing issue to get my gsg1911-22 back i found a mosin nagant 91/30. i have no idea if it is a russian chinese or what or if its even a good version of the mosin or not but at 149$ i took it home

maybe somebody could educate me as to whether it is a decent one or not and if its a russian sample or where it comes from. it has english markings electric penciled on saying its from cai georgia vermont, russian 7.62x54r, and m91/30 with the caliber. dunno if that means anything as to origin but they are importer marks with the serial number underneath.

im not terribly thrilled by the safety mechanism its very difficult to operate. trigger is decent enough for a military russian gun. it was covered in cosmoline took me about 2 hours to clean the light coating off and get it oiled up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are the accessories it came with:

[​IMG]

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Typical Soviet kit and stock finish. Need a pic of the barrel stamp to I.D. it.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

np get one in a bit after dinner

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

best i can get without daylight. those are on the reciever nothing on the barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I can tell much at the moment, But have a look >>here<< for some Barrel marks

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Generally there is a date stamped above the serial number, But I dont see one...
    Yours appears to be an Izhevsk

Mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

is that good bad or indifferent??

its like yours even a 1942
    but its not coming out well in the pic

im just curious to know if its a decent version.

8. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Izhevsk isn't bad at all, They made quite a few rifles, The Tula's are a little harder to come by from time to time, Mine is also a Izhevsk, IIRC they still manufacture AK's there

9. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Its hard to say if you have a different stock on yours, It has the full brass escutcheons where the dog collar goes, I am unsure if they went back to full escutcheons after the war or not, Mine has partial escutcheons, Mine may have never seen war time use either, But they cut corners here and there to speed up the process.
    I am by no means a MN aficionado, But I have read a little on them.
    I say you got a nice looking rifle, I hope it shoots well too.

Disregard, You have a post war stock.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks that's pretty much what I was wanting to know. I thought it was russian so I picked it up. No point in a chinese knock off. Stock being post war doesn't matter much to me. I like old open sight ww1 and ww2 bolt guns

11. jpattersonnh

in 1942, the Soviets transitioned to the partial escutcheons. Stocks were made, and stacked for new rifles. They just grabbed one and finished the rifle. They did anything to save precious metal. The Chinese never made 91/30's that I know of. During WW2 the Chinese made Mausers. The 1st Chinese MN's were M44 models designated the T-53 or Type 53.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks its what i hoped it was a wartime russian one. stock doesnt matter so much. i just like the fact its a piece of history and a damn cheap one too for a change :) the US rifles are damn pricey. the butt plate is a little small but the over all weight and feel is pretty good. if the weather is good im taking it out to the range this weekend.

13. jpattersonnh

They handle very well for the length.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

its surprisingly lightweight for the length. very fast pointing rifle ive fired mosins other folks own at the range which is what prompted me to get one.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

took the mosin out to the range but i got carried away with the ar15 and ran out of time to do a clean target for the mosin. fun gun to shoot wish i had got one a long time ago. it was doing a solid 4-5 inches at 100yds. i chalk it up to really bad surplus ammo. couldnt have been my shooting...

16. jpattersonnh

Between the creep, soft two stage trigger and ammo, you did ok. If you can shoot under 6" at 100 yards, your starting off well.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

the front sight post is a lot bigger than i like. i think i can do better next weekend. only fired 20 rounds. spent too much time playing with the ar15. shot the 22lr conversion 300yds just launching the rounds and watching them fly down range in the scope :) it was shooting like 20foot groups with the cmmg conversion at 300 yds lol.

one thing on the mosin thats cool is the elevation on the rear sight marked for 100yds is spot on

18. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

very nice looking gun. Makes me want to go shoot my mosin.

19. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Hello,

These rifles are more than capable of 1.5 to 1MOA, with sub-MOA groups being not uncommon.

As for the sight, you might find this of interest:

http://smith-sights.yolasite.com/

and for accuracy:

http://smith-sights.yolasite.com/article-accurizing-mosin-nagant.php

I hope this helps some.

Josh