New Member with a Winchester 1903 Question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by majharv, Nov 4, 2009.

1. majharv

majharv New Member

Great forum and info! I have a Winchester 1903 passed on by my family. As you may know, it uses only one type of ammo which they quit making in about 1970 and now any you find is about $2 -$3 a round. Does anyone know if it can be rechambered or have a new barrel fitted to handle .22 LR? Thanks.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Small runs of .22 WRF are made occasionally. I think you could find it cheaper than $2-3/rd.
    The rifle is collectable if in good condition. I would not try to rebarrel. Enjoy a classic collectable and shoot it occasionally when you can find reasoable ammo.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I agree with robocop10mm!! My father inherited a Winchester model 90 in 22 short. Essentially a .22 gallery gun with octagonal barrel et.al.!

He had it re-chambered to .22 LR and lost the collectivity. That rifle today would have been worth around $2000, as it is; about $500.

Keep it original, look for something else to shoot with a more common round and buy the WRF when you find it!!

50 round boxes .22 WRF are available at Cabela's for $10.99 http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012674214493a.shtml

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. majharv

majharv New Member

Thanks robocop10mm and dunerunner! Good advice. I tried Cabela's for the ammo, but it's back ordered! Just about like everything else! I'll keep trying!

5. primers

primers New Member

Majharv..be aware that the 03 winchester does not shoot WRF rounds..that rifle only shoots the 22 winchester automatic round...those are a little pricey...i realize this is an older post ,hope this helps...