Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1951 12-gauge Ithaca 37. When I load and unload unspent shells there is no problem. After I fire, though, I cannot get the action to move and the spent shell is sttuck in the chamber. This happens with all types of regular and premium shells. Anyone with the knowledge to know what is going on? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
12,695 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, stop by the introductions threads and tell us a bit.

Is the chamber clean? If so, does it have any rust scars or other visible scratches, discoloring, etc.?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
primer1 has the most likely answer. Remove barrel and run your finger around inside the chamber. It should be very smooth. Scrub the devil out of the chamber and then do the finger check again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Howdy, from Texas.

The Ithaca 37 is a fine JMB-designed firearm. I have a Featherweight 12Ga from the `80s. I think the previous posters have you pointed in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Seems like good advice so far, but a question comes to mind. When you are cycling unfired rounds through the gun you have to push the slide release to eject if the gun is not fired, have you tried pressing that same release after firing? If you have tried it without success, then the advice up to now would seem the best. If you have not tried that, maybe you should; your problem maybe different than first thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. Took the gun apart yesterday. The only things that seem possibilities are: 1) there was a very small amount of fluff (a few fibers -- likely the remnants of a cleaning patch) in the groove where the ejector rod slides into for grabbing the rim of the shell; 2) given the age of the gun, the "lip" of the ejector rod may be worn down enough that while it can pick up the lip of an unspent shell and easily extract it, once the shell has fired and the brass base has expanded the slight amount from the firing, the ejector rod may slip off the lip with the additional friction caused by the spent base; and 3) the screw cap at the distal end of the magazine was tight but could be tightened a couple of millimeters more, and since the tighter the screw cap the tighter the fit of the barrel to the receiver and thus the further into the groove the ejector rod would go, perhaps this could contribute to either of the first two observations. Once I can, if I can, get beyond some major health matters that have just recently occurred, i will do some live fire and see what the story is. I will let everyone know. As for the comments you all have supplied, the chamber itself is really smooth and clean, and yes, and I did try to depress the release button but it was "frozen" along with everything else when trying to eject the spent shell. Only after several minutes of trying to eject the spent shell did I succeed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts